The golden rule of fundraising: ASK and TELL.
Every person you know has women in their lives whom they love. Therefore, more often than not, simply asking them to donate to your Susan G. Komen Philadelphia MORE THAN PINK Fundraising drive is all it takes. It’s also important to share why this cause matters to you and why you are making the effort to fundraise. “Ask and tell” as many people as possible, and watch your impact on our fight skyrocket.
Other effective tips
- Set a goal and share it. We suggest that you start with at least $250 and that you make the first gift to yourself to demonstrate your commitment.
- Utilize your online fundraising center, which was made available to you when you registered for the Komen Philadelphia MORE THAN PINK Walk. Customize your fundraising page and leverage our email templates.
- Open your address book. Leave no stone unturned when reaching out to friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, your faith community and so forth. Ask people you interacted with every day, every now and then, and even those people you see just once or twice a year.
- Ask everywhere. Use every form of communications you can to ask for donations—social media (Facebook), emails, posted letters, phone calls, personal visits, signs and posters.
- Utilize employer matching gifts to double or triple your donations.
- Team up. Work as a team of registered participants to fundraise as a group.
- Engage people in groups. Take advantage of neighborhood gatherings, office lunches, PTA meetings, etc. to ask for—and receive!—multiple donations at one time.
- Host a fundraising experience. Fundraising events don’t need to be extensive and involved. A bake sale, neighborhood carwash or pet wash, game night with family and friends, or even a night with “the girls” doing home manicures can turn into a huge fundraising opportunity.
- Put out the jar. Make it easy for people to “contribute a few bucks” when it’s most convenient. Put collection jars in the lunchroom, at your office’s reception desk or on your kitchen table. Ask businesses you frequent often if they’d display a jar for you, too.
- Let us support you. We have significantly enhanced our top-fundraiser support program, which is now lead by a hands-on committee dedicated to helping you be the best fundraiser you can be. If you need help or ideas, contact us at Walk@KomenPhiladelphia.org.