Exact policies for our Relay Safe Commitment will be adapted as COVID-19 conditions change. Final policies will be determined at least one week prior to the event and communicated to all participants. Keeping our participants, volunteers, and staff as safe as possible is our top priority. Anticipated policies:
- Event signage will promote safe social distancing practices including maintaining 6 feet of distance between others.
- Dedicated waiting spots will be provided to aid in social distancing in areas where participants congregate such as packet pickup, start line, and portable restrooms.
- Personal responsibilities will be communicated to participants, staff, volunteers, vendors, and sponsors prior to the event.
Cleaning and Sanitation
- We will reduce touchpoints to minimize physical interactions and deploy frequent cleaning and sanitation of any high touch areas.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the event including packet pickup, higher traffic areas, and in and around portable toilets.
- Handwashing stations will be available at all transition areas.
- On course water and food trucks will be reduced or eliminated. Sealed water bottles and food will be available at the finish line or given out in the team packet.
- We will use increased safety and hygiene practices for staff and volunteers including the use of masks and regular hand sanitization.
Personal Protective Equipment
- All staff and volunteers will wear face coverings in times where social distancing cannot be maintained. In addition to social distancing measures, participants are requested to wear a face-covering at the event while not an active runner on the course.
- Face masks will be available at packet pickup and the starting line for participants who need one.
- Total event capacity will be reduced to have less total event participants.
- Welcome Reception and Packet Pickup events may be altered to only allow one team representative to pick up the team packet.
- Additional wave starts may be implemented to reduce the number of participants at the starting and transition areas at any given time.
- Non-active and/or outgoing runners may be asked to remain in their vehicles prior to their designated run other than for essential activities such using the restroom, brief warm-up, or lining-up to run. Text messaging, runner tracking, and event announcements will be used to communicate runner start times.
- Teams will be given a recommended arrival time to the starting line and to each transition.
- Spectators may not be allowed or may be highly discouraged.
- Post-race activities including the award ceremony and finish line celebration may not be held after the race to adhere to local mass gathering regulations.
- Teams may be encouraged to depart the event as soon as feasible after finishing.
- On-site registration may be eliminated. Registration and payment will be available online.
- Team slap bracelets may be eliminated.
- Event gear sales may be by online pre-order only and be given out to your team representative in your team packet.
- The number of transition volunteers may be reduced to decrease gathering sizes at transition areas.
Screening and At-Risk Persons
- Participants, staff, volunteers, vendors, and sponsors will be asked to self-screen and stay home for any of the following reasons:
- Have been in contact with someone testing positive for COVID-19 in the 14 days prior to the event.
- Have experienced or been in contact with someone experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms in the 14 days prior to the event.
- Have a body temperature reading of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
- All participants and especially at-risk persons are encouraged to consult a physician prior to participating.