In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
United Way 5K on the Runway is scheduled to take flight April 10th, 2021.
Please watch for updates and plan to join us when we will race on the runway for the first time!
The United Way 5K on the Runway, sponsored by Centra Health, is perfect for participants of all ages who are able to complete 5K in 60 minutes or less. The course is flat and fast as you run on the taxi way parallel to the main runway. Come out, join the fun, support United Way of Central Virginia, and see Lynchburg Regional Airport in a whole new way! There is a 250-person limit to this event.
Due to airport restrictions, there are no strollers, skateboards, roller blades, bikes or pets allowed on the airport taxi way. For this reason, participants cannot use a stroller during the event.
The 5k is open to all ages and will be professionally timed by Riverside Runners. Start time TBD at General Aviation Terminal, 982 Airport Road, Lynchburg, Virginia. There is a 250-person limit to this event.
250 PERSON LIMIT || Register early and save!
There are strict time limits for this event. Participants not reaching 2.5 miles 38:00 (15:00 / mile pace) or deemed by officials to not be able to complete the course before the finish line closes, will be removed from the event, and provided transportation back to the finish.
Assisted Participant Information:
Assisted participants with disabilities are welcome. Both the assisted athlete and the pusher must register and sign the waiver, but will each only pay half price for registration. Please register as an assisted athlete team to get your discount. Assisted athletes will have a 3-5-minute advance start for course safety purposes. On race day, please go to the front of the starting line and our team will get you lined up. We will also have several parking spaces reserved near the event. Please look for our parking attendants and let them know you are an assisted athlete team.
Registration fees are non-transferable & non-refundable. An entry can only be used for the person registered for the entry. Entries cannot be deferred to the following year or a future event.
All participants in the 5k race will receive a custom designed t-shirt (register by March to guarantee your shirt), FINISHER MEDAL, door prizes, and post-event food and entertainment. Extra shirts will be ordered and available on a first-come basis at packet pickup and race day for those that register after the guaranteed deadline.
Fri., April 9, 2021, 12-6 p.m., Riverside Runners, 2480 Rivermont Avenue, Lynchburg, VA 24503 434-846-7449
Race Day Sat., April 10, 2021, Lynchburg Airport General Aviation Terminal, Banker Steel Hangar, 982 Airport Road, Lynchburg, Virginia. Time TBD
Parking for the event is located at the corner of Airport Road and Hanger Road.
Please note: This event is not accessible from the commercial aviation parking facilities.
· Traffic entering the parking from 460 will turn towards the airport and follow signs to parking.
· Traffic entering from Wards Road/29 will turn right on Preston Glenn Drive and then turn left on Airport Road. Follow signs to parking.
FINISHER MEDALS TO ALL OFFICIAL 5K FINISHERS!
Awards will be given to the top 3 Overall Male and top 3 Overall Female, Top Masters (40+) Male and Female, as well as the top three in each age/gender category
Stroller Policy: Due to airport restrictions there are no strollers, skateboards, roller blades, bikes or pets allowed on the airport taxi way. For this reason, participants cannot use a stroller during the event.
Head Phone Policy: For safety reasons, headphones are not permitted on the course.
Pet Policy: Due to airport restrictions there are no pets, skateboards, roller blades, or bikes allowed inside the gated area or on the airport taxi way.
United Way COVID Protocol
Like other Running events in our community, United Way will follow the best practices listed below.
1. The Governor's most recent EXEC ORDER 12/10/2021 allows for road races no larger than 250 with waves of 25 people.
2. Race day registration "on-site" will be limited and follow social distancing guidelines. Please note due to the large number of deferrals from 2020; we are anticipating a sold-out race.
3. During the race (including start/finish), we encourage social distancing (min. 6ft between individuals).
4. Spectators are discouraged and will not be allowed inside the gated area of the airport for the 2021 race.
5. We require participants to follow the below stated policies and plans focused on sanitation and social distancing.
a) Masks are required except while participating in the race.
b) Water stops: participants are encouraged to bring their hydration. United Way will offer on course and pre/post-race hydration in bottles.
c) Food and hydration items will be individually packaged and distributed by volunteers. There will be no "self-serve."
d) Hand sanitation stations will be located outside of the restroom area where portable restrooms are located.
6. For 2021, our entertainment and our awards ceremony are currently on hold to discourage large group gatherings and the amount of time groups are gathered. Finisher medals will be given to participants as they cross finish line and awards will be available for pick up at Riverside Runners following the race or mailed to participant homes.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Like this page and invite your friends on Facebook.