In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Another one bites the dust. We miss all of you so much and can't wait to see your gorgeous faces again, but we have to wait until it's safe and the parks allow us to be together.
Registered participants have been emailed options for their registration.
Additional race information can be found at https://runawesomesauce.com/a/races/sweet-southern-discomfort/.
Sweet Southern Discomfort is not returning in 2021 for a variety of reasons. We've got our fingers crossed and are hoping (and cautiously confident) that we'll be able to have it in 2022! All deferrals and transfers will be good for 3 years.
Coronavirus Information: Sweet Southern Discomfort 2020 is unfortunately cancelled. Registered participants have been sent information on options for their registration.
Georgia: It's on your mind. It's on ours too. We kick off Southern Discomfort in Georgia, the Peach State, where every soda is a Coke and where we've been Gone with the Wind and we've driven Miss Daisy. The only driving you'll be doing, though, is to the start of this adventure. Day One is at the Black and Yellow Playground, 1000 Hwy 53 Spur SW, Calhoun, GA. Race starts at 7am EASTERN.
Day two of Sweet Southern Discomfort finds us in the Volunteer state, Tennessee. We'll be running in the Tennessee Valley, nestled beneath the Appalachian mountains, near where that famous Choo Choo liked to roll through. You'll be under the power of your own two feet though, as we party it up in the state famous for country music and whiskey, the birthplace of Dolly Parton and Justin Timberlake (you'll find 'em both on the playlist of tunes that we'll be cranking out all weekend), Davy Crocket and Daniel Boone. No coonskin caps to be found here though (but we hear there's another pretty rad race, produced by the same rad crew, in March that DOES hook you up with the famous Tennessee headgear.) Location is Camp Jordan, 323 Camp Jordan Pkwy, East Ridge, TN. Race starts at 7am EASTERN.
We'll be celebrating Memorial Day in style on the banks of Lake Guntersville, so wear your red, white, and blue and come ready for a barbeque! We'll have post-race hot dogs and pulled pork sandwiches, tons of watermelon, and desserts, of course...or you can eat all that stuff during the race if you want. Location is 1500 Sunset Drive, Guntersville, Alabama. Race starts at 6am CENTRAL.
Unlimited food and drink, everything from energy gels and gummy bears to potato chips and candy...you've never seen an aid station like ours! Join the fun as you take on any distance from 5K to ultramarathon and run away from those banjos you hear. No time limit on the last day, so you can go as slow as molasses if you'd like. Our unique multi-lap course means you'll always be with all of your friends, who will become family, because that's just how we do things here in the South.
Join us for one, two, or all three days, mix and match your distances or take on the ultimate challenge of three marathons in three days in three states.
The important info:
- All courses are on asphalt, in multiple out-and-back fashion.
- Georgia --> Tennessee = 44 miles / Tennessee --> Alabama = 98 miles (distances and driving times will vary depending on the hotels you choose.)
- Register for one day of the series, receive a hat. Two days, receive a hat and a mason jar. Three days, receive a hat, a mason jar, and a dry bag (perfect for all of those sweaty running clothes!) You do NOT have to run all three days.
- There is NO race shirt. Because everyone has preferences on clothing, you can add on things like tank tops, tech shirts, and other fun stuff.
- All distances receive a medal. How else will people know you went for a run? Run all three days and get a fourth medal!
- Strollers are permitted. Pets are not. Have you ever seen a dog attack a bowl of banana pudding? We have. It's not cute.
- There is a 10 hour time limit each day. Walkers, run-walkers, runners, skippers, and crawlers are welcome.
- Packet pickup one hour prior to race start. There is NO early start on any day.
- Virtual runners will be mailed all of their swag the week after the race series.
DO NOT REGISTER FOR THIS RACE IF:
- You are super competitive. This series is about camaraderie, not qualifying for Boston. (Our races are USATF sanctioned but NOT Boston qualifiers.)
- You are allergic to smiling, being friendly, telling anyone else things like, "Good job," or "Keep it up!" when you cross paths with them on the course. Or you have no sense of humor. Or you're just super serious.
- You are super precise on what your GPS measures vs. what the course measures. We measure all of our courses with a wheel on the ground. Your GPS may measure over or under, depending on all kinds of factors. You're welcome to run longer if your GPS says you're short; we won't charge you any extra.
- You are expecting hundreds of volunteers to be holding their arms out to hand you drinks. If you are worried about losing a couple of seconds to stop and drink, this isn't the race for you.
- You cannot handle running in loops or multiple out-and-backs. We use courses like this to keep everyone together (so there is always someone to run with or wave at, and the slower people can run with the faster people), to only require one aid station (where we can cut down on trash, volunteers, and where we can keep an eye on you as the race goes on), to allow for drop bags and shedding of clothing as you warm up, to allow spectators to not have to worry about working through road blocks. It is NOT a typical run around the town kind of deal.
Choose the day you would like to run. Georgia is on Saturday, Tennessee is on Sunday, Alabama is on Monday. Then, choose the distance you'd like to run. You can mix and match different distances on each day, or you can just run one race on one day.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Like this page and invite your friends on Facebook.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.