Spend a morning or an afternoon exploring one of the oldest surviving peanut plantations in North Carolina. Poplar Grove Plantation was in the Foy family for six generations, from 1795 to 1971. It opened to the public as a museum in 1980. The present Manor House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and sustained through the continuing efforts of Poplar Grove Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit Public Charity, dedicated to education, conservation, and preservation.
Built by Joseph Mumford Foy circa 1850 to be closer to the Old New Bern Road, and later the Wilmington and Topsail Sound Plank Road, Poplar Grove Foundation, Inc. preserves the homestead of a successful farming family, along with the outbuildings and crafts typical of a 19th century working community. The 15+ remaining acres of the homestead are under the stewardship of the North Carolina Coastal Land Trust.