Did you know? Melanoma is a deadly skin cancer, and there are over 1 million Americans living with melanoma.
Florida has the second-highest incidence of melanoma in the United States.
Sun protection and early detection are key to preventing melanoma.
What do YOU need to be on the look-out for? The ABCDE’s of melanoma are a good place to start!
Asymmetry - one half of the mole does not match the other
Border - the edges are irregular, ragged, notched, blurred; normal moles are
round or oval
Color - the mole is not evenly colored: it may include shades of brown or
black, or patches or pink, red, white or blue.
Diameter - the spot is larger than 6mm across
Evolving - the mole is changing in size
The ‘SPF5K: Shield, Prevent, Fight’ is a fun event organized for the community to promote education on Melanoma and how it can impact you and your loved ones. We have partnered with the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) in an effort to raise awareness and funds for dermatologic research to find a cure for this cancer.
We invite you to join us anytime between Saturday, April 3rd, 2021, and Sunday, April 11th, 2021 for this year's VIRTUAL SPF 5K race.
Funds raised by SPF 5K participants will help advance melanoma research in partnership with the MRF and dermatologic education. By participating in the SPF 5K, you can help make a real difference in the fight against melanoma!
VIRTUAL RACE DETAILS:
- Run, jog, walk a 5K from any location you choose!
- Participate by yourself, with family, or socially distant with friends
- Complete your run anytime between Saturday, April 3rd, 2021, and Sunday, April 11th, 2021
- We are providing participants with RaceJoy as part of the official race experience!
- Features include live phone tracking, GPS progress alerts, cheers, automatically-submitted results, and race redos.
- After you run, you have the option to REDO your run, but note that once you do that, your previous time will be erased.
- Please download the app prior to your race.
- More information will be emailed to participants as we get closer to the race.
Check us out and give us a follow on Instagram and Facebook for updates and additional information: