PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RACE RULES and COVID PROTOCOL CAREFULLY:
The annual Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway, hosted by Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, is back! Get ready to lace up your shoes and run or walk the 5th runway at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on Saturday, October 16, 2021. Experience this special opportunity to race on one of the flattest – and fastest – courses in metro Atlanta!
This is a USATF-certified 5K course and therefore an AJC Peachtree Road Race qualifier.
The proceeds from the race will benefit the Mayor’s Youth Scholarship Program and United Way of Greater Atlanta.
- All participants will receive a commemorative T-shirt and medal upon completion of the race.
- There will be limited space for participants to warm up or stretch before and after the event.
- Walkers are encouraged to walk to the right, allowing runners to pass on the left.
- Participants must be ages 10 and older.
- Children younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult who is registered for the race.
- Spectators are not permitted.
- For participants requiring a "guide" runner, the "guide" runner MUST register for the event as either a "timed" or "untimed" participant.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
4:00 a.m. | Race # Pickup Begins - Tech Campus parking lot, adjacent to Fire Station #33
6:00 a.m. | Race # Pickup Closes
6:15 a.m. | Race Participants stage on the 5th Runway
6:30 a.m. | Official Race Start
7:30 a.m. | Finish of Race - All participants must be off the runway at 7:30 a.m.
7:45 a.m. | Awards - Fire Station #33.
Participation in the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway (“RACE”) is contingent upon each participant complying with these Race Rules. By agreeing to participate in this RACE, you hereby agree to be bound by all Race Rules for the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway. The City of Atlanta reserves the right to exclude or remove any participant from the RACE for failure to comply with any portion of the Race Rules.
- Because the RACE course is an active runway, all participants will be required to be off the RACE course by 7:30 a.m. regardless of whether the participant has finished the RACE. This requires participants to maintain an approximately 17-minute pace. Participants not maintaining a pace that will meet this 7:30 a.m. deadline will be detoured along the route as needed to meet this requirement. Any participant on the RACE course at 7:30 a.m. will be escorted off the course by authorized personnel with no exceptions.
- All participants agree to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws related to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (“AIRPORT”). AIRPORT property is defined by the secure fence line around the perimeter of the AIRPORT.
- All participants must be checked-in no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of the RACE in order to take part in the 5K. There will be no same-day registration allowed for this RACE.
- Check-in and mandatory race-day number pickup will be open to participants starting at 4:00 am. All participants must show a government-issued photo ID that matches the registered participant upon check-in. Minors do not need to provide a photo ID upon check-in when accompanied by a registered adult with the proper government-issued photo ID.
- The RACE is open to members of the public ages 10 and older. No child younger than 10 years of age is permitted on the AIRPORT property. Each child between the ages of 10 and 17 must be accompanied by a registered adult who will be participating with the child during the RACE.
- All participants acknowledge that they will be vetted by AIRPORT and federal security agencies prior to the RACE based upon the submission of each participant’s name and birth date; participants acknowledge that being successfully vetted is a prerequisite to RACE participation. Any potential participant who is flagged as a security risk based upon the vetting process will be prohibited from participating in the RACE, and their entry fee will be reimbursed.
- Registrations are nontransferable and nonrefundable. RACE bibs may not be sold, given away or used by any person other than the registered individual. Your Government ID must match the name of the registered participant in order to pick up a race number the morning of the race.
- All RACE participants must stay on the officially designated 5K course at all times, unless detoured by law enforcement or other AIRPORT personnel along the route. RACE participants acknowledge that the RACE will begin prior to sunrise and agree to follow the lighted path for participants on the 5K course.
- No spectators are allowed on AIRPORT property. Only registered RACE participants will be allowed on AIRPORT property.
- All participants will be searched upon check-in for prohibited items upon entering AIRPORT property. There will be NO gear check.
- No guns or weapons of any kind (including but not limited to knives, mace, pepper spray, stun guns, etc.) are allowed on AIRPORT property.
- Only fanny packs (5" x 7" x 2") will be allowed. All other bags will be strictly prohibited (e.g. backpacks, shoulder bags, sling bags, water camels, etc.).
- No outside water, water bottles, camelbacks, etc. will be allowed. Water will be provided to RACE participants.
- No strollers are permitted on AIRPORT property.
- No bikes, skateboards, or other non-motorized or motorized vehicles are permitted on the AIRPORT property, other than equipment necessary for a person with a disability as required by an ADA participant.
- No pets are permitted on AIRPORT property except for officially designated service animals as required by an ADA participant.
- A clear plastic bag, no larger than one-quart size, will be provided to participants for ID and keys. All items carried onto the AIRPORT property must fit in the clear pouch provided. Cellphones, mobile music players, and arm bands to hold those devices are allowed.
- All participants acknowledge that items left in any location on City of Atlanta and AIRPORT property are left at the participant’s own risk.
- The City of Atlanta reserves the right to exclude or remove any participant from the RACE for failure to comply with any portion of the race rules.
COVID PROTOCOLS for the EVENT:
- Anyone exhibiting signs of COVID such as feeling sick, recently testing positive for COVID and/or being exposed to anyone showing signs or recently testing positive for COVID will not be allowed to participate in the race.
- Participants will be REQUIRED to wear a face mask during the event. Face masks are not required while running/walking the 5K route, but should be put back on immediately after finishing the race.
- Participants are encouraged to use social distancing whenever possible when around people not in their social circle. The race may start in waves with a start grid to promote social distancing.
- Race participants are encouraged to hand sanitize often throughout the event.
- All participants may be required to answer health screening questions and/or have their temperature checked upon arrival on race day. We recommend that you not warm-up for the race until you complete the required temperature check because your warm-up may possibly cause a falsely elevated body temperature.
- Spectators are not allowed with this event. A parent of a child participating is welcome and must follow the face mask protocol above.
- Participants are encouraged to leave the race site shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- Individuals with compromised immune systems, individuals meeting other vulnerable criteria, and anyone responsible for the care of someone in the at-risk population should possibly consider this event a risky environment. We recommend you participate as a "Virtual Runner".
- These protocols may be adjusted if the environment on race day indicates changes are necessary.
TRANSPORTATION & PARKING:
- There is NO public parking at Fire Station 33. Parking is available about 1/2 mile from the race site in Lot 3 (details below). Carpooling is highly recommended.
- Once you arrive in the parking lot, you will then walk about 1/4 mile to the Tech Campus parking lot to pick up your race number, and then 1/4 mile to Fire Station 33 to stage for the start of the 5K.
- Additional offsite parking will be available at the Georgia International Convention Center (GICC) in College Park. Shuttle service from the GICC to the race course will begin at 3:30 a.m. and end at 5:45 a.m. Return shuttle service to the GICC will be available after the race, with the last shuttle departing at 9:00 a.m. from Fire Station 33. Face masks are REQUIRED to ride these shuttles.
- We recommend you use the following addresses in your mapping software to access the parking lots for this event.
- Parking Lot 3 is located at 1000 Airport Loop Road, Atlanta, GA 30337
- Parking Lot GICC is located at 2000 Convention Center Concourse, College Park, GA 30337
- There will be shuttle buses to transport you too the race site and back to the GICC after the race.
- There is no charge for parking or the shuttle buses.
- If you will need special assistance with parking or other ADA accessibility, please e-mail us at ATL5K@ATL.com.
RIDE SHARING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Please use the address for ATL Technical Campus - 1255 Airport Loop Road Atlanta, GA 30337 for your ride sharing drop-off and pickup location.
- There will be a designated drop-off and pickup location on the curb in front of the Tech Campus building.
- Have your driver follow the signs as they arrive in the vicinity of the race site.
- Vehicles will make a U-turn on Airport Loop Road in front of Tech Campus and drop off riders on the curb.
- If you choose to ride MARTA, there will be shuttle buses from the Airport MARTA station to the race site. MARTA will begin north and southbound rail service at 4 a.m. When exiting the train, follow signs to the shuttle pickup location. The shuttle service will be available from the Airport MARTA station to ATL Technical (Tech) Campus to pick up your race number starting at 4 a.m. and ending at 5:45 a.m.
- Awards for the overall male and female finisher, and top male and female finisher in each age group as follows: 10-16; 17-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70+. All awards winners will be based on NET TIME. Only timed runners can qualify for awards.
- Team awards: Require at least five members and can be a combination of men and women. Awards will go to Top Team (fastest combined overall score) and Largest Team.
DONATE YOUR SHOES:
- Help your community and the environment
- Bring your shoes – new, gently used or falling apart. Eco Sneaker will recycle or repurpose the shoes in the Atlanta community.
- Collection bins will be stationed in the race registration/bib pickup area before the race.
- For those unable to participate in the ATL Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway in person, the virtual option allows you to run or walk anytime and anywhere, even indoors on a treadmill at your own convenience. Complete the 5K on your own time and at your preferred location.
- You can submit your virtual race results and photos via the race registration website.
- You will receive a commemorative T-shirt and medal after the event.
If you have additional questions about the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway, please email ATL5K@ATL.com or call (404) 382-2369*.
*NOTE: Staff will not be available via phone on the day of the race, Oct. 16, 2021.