PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RACE RULES and COVID-19 PROTOCOL CAREFULLY:
The annual Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway is back! Hosted by Mayor Andre Dickens, the race welcomes runners as young as 10 years old and of all abilities. Get ready to lace up your shoes and run or walk the 5th runway at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022. Experience this exclusive opportunity to race on one of the flattest – and fastest – courses in metro Atlanta!
Registration is limited to the first 2,000 participants.
This is a USATF-certified 5K course and therefore an AJC Peachtree Road Race qualifier.
The proceeds from the race will benefit the Mayor’s Youth Scholarship Program and United Way of Greater Atlanta.
- All participants receive a commemorative T-shirt and medal upon completion of the race.
- There is limited space for participants to warm up or stretch before and after the event.
- Walkers are encouraged to walk to the right, allowing runners to pass on the left.
- Participants must be ages 10 and older. Participants younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult who is registered for the race.
Spectators are not permitted.
- For participants requiring a "guide" or “push-assist” runner, the "guide" or “push-assist” runner MUST register for the race as a "timed" or "untimed" participant.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
3:30 a.m. | Georgia International Convention Center (GICC) Parking Lot opens
4:00 a.m. | Race # Pickup Begins – ATL’s Tech Campus parking lot, adjacent to Fire Station #33
4:45 a.m. | MARTA trains begin running northbound and southbound
5:45 a.m. | Last shuttles from GICC and MARTA to RACE site
6:00 a.m. | Race # Pickup Closes
6:15 a.m. | Race Participants stage on the 5th Runway
6:30 a.m. | Official Race Start
7:30 a.m. | Finish of Race - All participants must be off the runway by 7:30 a.m.
7:45 a.m. | Awards - Fire Station #33 at the 5K Race Village
9:00 a.m. | Last shuttles departs from Fire Station #33 to GICC and MARTA
Participation in the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway (RACE) is contingent upon each participant complying with these RACE Rules. By agreeing to participate in this RACE, you hereby agree to be bound by all RACE Rules for the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway. The City of Atlanta ("CITY") reserves the right to exclude or remove any participant from the RACE for failure to comply with any portion of the RACE Rules.
- Because the RACE course is an active runway, all participants are required to be off the RACE course by 7:30 a.m. regardless of whether participants have finished the RACE. This requires participants to maintain an approximately 17-minute pace. Participants not maintaining a pace that will meet this 7:30 a.m. deadline will be detoured along the route as needed. Any participant on the RACE course at 7:30 a.m. will be escorted off the course by authorized personnel without exception.
- All participants agree to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws related to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (AIRPORT). AIRPORT property is defined by the secure fence line around the perimeter of the AIRPORT.
- All participants must be checked in no later than 6 a.m. on race day to take part in the 5K. Same-day registration is not allowed for this RACE.
Check-in and mandatory race-day number pickup opens to participants starting at 4 a.m. All participants must show a government-issued photo ID that matches the registered participant’s name upon check-in. Minors do not need to provide a photo ID upon check-in when accompanied by a registered adult with a proper government-issued photo ID.
- The RACE is open to members of the public ages 10 and older. No child younger than 10 is permitted on the AIRPORT property. Each child between the ages of 10 and 17 must be accompanied by a registered adult who will be participating with the child during the RACE.
- All participants acknowledge that they will be vetted by AIRPORT and federal security agencies prior to the RACE based upon the submission of each participant’s name and birth date. Participants acknowledge that being successfully vetted is a prerequisite for RACE participation. Any potential participant who is flagged as a security risk based upon the vetting process will be prohibited from participating in the RACE, and their entry fee will be reimbursed.
Registrations are nontransferable and nonrefundable.
- RACE bibs may not be sold, given away or used by any person other than the registered individual. Your Government ID must match the name of the registered participant to pick up a race number and enter the AIRPORT property the morning of the race.
- All RACE participants must stay on the officially designated 5K course at all times, unless detoured by law enforcement or other AIRPORT personnel along the route. RACE participants acknowledge that the RACE will begin prior to sunrise and agree to follow the lighted path for participants on the 5K course.
No spectators are allowed on AIRPORT property.
- Only registered RACE participants will be allowed on AIRPORT property.
- All participants will be searched upon check-in for prohibited items upon entering AIRPORT property. There will be NO gear check.
- No guns or weapons of any kind (including but not limited to knives, mace, pepper spray, stun guns, etc.) are allowed on AIRPORT property.
- Only fanny packs (5" x 7" x 2”) are allowed on race day. All other bags are strictly prohibited (e.g. backpacks, shoulder bags, sling bags, water camels, etc.).
- No outside water, water bottles, camelbacks, etc. are allowed. Water will be provided to RACE participants.
- No strollers are permitted on AIRPORT property.
- No bikes, skateboards or other non-motorized or motorized vehicles are permitted on the AIRPORT property, other than equipment necessary for a person with a disability as required by an ADA participant.
- No pets are permitted on AIRPORT property except for officially designated service animals as required by an ADA participant.
A clear plastic bag, no larger than one-quart size, will be provided to participants for ID and keys. All items carried onto the AIRPORT property must fit in the clear pouch provided. Cell phones, mobile music players and arm bands to hold those devices are allowed.
- All participants acknowledge that items left in any location on City of Atlanta and AIRPORT property are left at the participant’s own risk.
- The City of Atlanta reserves the right to exclude or remove any participant from the RACE for failure to comply with any portion of the RACE rules.
- All participants and observers will agree to any COVID-19 PROTOCOLS that currently are or may be put in place in the future for the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway event.
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS for the EVENT:
- Anyone exhibiting signs of COVID-19 such as feeling sick, recently testing positive for COVID-19 and/or being exposed to anyone showing signs or recently testing positive for COVID-19 will not be allowed to participate in the RACE.
- At the present time, wearing a face mask is optional. The RACE reserves the right to require face masks if health protocols at AIRPORT change. Face masks are not required while running/walking the 5K route.
- Participants are encouraged to use their own judgement regarding social distancing when around people not in their social circle. The RACE may start in waves with a start grid to promote social distancing if necessary.
- RACE participants are encouraged to hand sanitize often throughout the event.
- Participants are encouraged to leave the RACE site shortly after the conclusion of the RACE.
- Individuals with compromised immune systems, individuals meeting other vulnerable criteria and anyone responsible for the care of someone in the at-risk population should possibly consider this event a risky environment. We recommend these individuals participate as a "Virtual Runner."
- Any or all of these protocols may be adjusted if the health environment on RACE day indicates changes are necessary.
TRANSPORTATION & PARKING:
- Carpooling is highly recommended.
- There is NO public parking at the RACE site, Atlanta Fire Station #33.
- Parking is available at the Georgia International Convention Center (GICC).
- Shuttle bus service from the GICC site to RACE site begins at 3:30 a.m. and ends at 5:45 a.m.
- Return shuttle service will be available after the RACE with the last shuttle departing from Fire Station #33 at 9:00 a.m.
- Whether face masks will be required to ride these shuttles will be determined closer to the RACE date.
- Please use the following address in your mapping software to access the GICC parking lot for the event.
- 2000 Convention Center Concourse, College Park, GA, 30337
- There is no charge for parking or the shuttle buses.
- There will be NO shuttles from any airport paid lots to the RACE Site. The GICC parking lot, ride sharing and MARTA are your only options to access the race site.
- If you will need special assistance with parking or other ADA accessibility, please email us at ATL5K@ATL.com.
RIDE SHARING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Please use the address for ATL Technical Campus - 1255 Inner Loop Road, Atlanta, GA 30337 for your ride sharing drop-off and pickup location.
- There will be a designated drop-off and pickup location on the curb in front of the Tech Campus building.
- Have your driver follow the signs as they arrive in the vicinity of the RACE site.
- If you choose to ride MARTA, there will be shuttle buses from the AIRPORT MARTA station to the RACE site.
- MARTA will begin north and southbound rail service at 4:45 a.m.
- When exiting the train, follow signs to the shuttle pickup location.
- The shuttle service will be available from the Airport MARTA station to ATL Technical (Tech) Campus to pick up your race number starting at 4:45 a.m. and ending at 5:45 a.m.
- Shuttle buses will return to the Airport MARTA station after the race until 9:00 a.m.
- Awards are given for the overall male and female finisher, and top male and female finisher in each age group as follows: 10-16; 17-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; and 70+.
- Awards winners are based on NET TIME. Only timed runners can qualify for awards.
- Team awards: Require at least five members and can be a combination of men and women. Awards will go to Top Team (fastest combined overall score) and Largest Team.
DONATE YOUR RUNNING SHOES to ECOSNEAKERS:
- Help your community and the environment.
- Bring your shoes – new, gently used or falling apart. EcoSneakers will recycle or repurpose the shoes in the Atlanta community.
- Collection bins will be stationed in the RACE # pickup area before the race.
- For those unable to participate in the ATL Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway in person, the virtual option allows you to run or walk anytime and anywhere, even indoors on a treadmill, at your own convenience.
- Complete the 5K on your own time and at your preferred location.
- You can submit your virtual race results and photos via the race registration website.
- You will receive a commemorative T-shirt and medal after the event.
- For questions about sponsorships or to become a sponsor, please contact Kelli Ross at email@example.com.
If you have additional questions about the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway, please email ATL5K@ATL.com or call (404) 382-2369.
Do you know of anyone that would like to volunteer for the 5K Race? Sign up as a volunteer using the link below today: https://bit.ly/mayor5kvolunteer2022 **All volunteers will receive a commemorative T-shirt, breakfast, snacks and have access to the 5K Village Experience!**
NOTE: Staff will not be available via phone or e-mail on the morning of the RACE to answer questions. Please resolve any issues or questions you have before race day.
Thank you! Your message was posted to Facebook.