In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Make Strides for Sickle Cell Awareness & Support!
Kids Conquering Sickle Cell Disease Foundation invites you, your family & friends to support raising awareness and fundraising for individuals & families impacted by sickle cell disease & related blood disorders! We are excited to invite the community to support our 1st Annual Stride for Sickle Cell Walk/Run/Jog -A-Thon May 8- June 19. Our walk/run/bike a thon will end in celebration of June 19, National Sickle Cell Awareness Day.
The impact & burden families experience from frequent hospitalizations & challenges, along with added the impact of the COVID 19 Pandemic has not stopped, neither has our efforts to help families. We are dedicated to providing vital support services to the community and your support impacts lives.
Team up & walk for a great cause! Gather your family, friends, co-workers and neighbors gearing up to either walk, run, or jog in support of the individuals living with sickle cell disease & associated blood disorders. You can complete your virtual 5k at your preferred location at any time! Your awareness & fundraising support helps to impact lives while honoring sickle cell warriors who fight this life-threatening disorder daily while also remembering our fallen warriors!
Join our efforts and Register today to proudly show your support for sickle cell & related blood disorders! Modeling your sickle cell awareness event gear!
Sickle Cell Disease affects more than 100,000 Americans of different racial and ethnic backgrounds, including, Africans, Arabians, Israelis, Greeks, Italians, Hispanics, and Turks. Millions of Americans carry genes for hemoglobinopathies.
Sickle Cell Anemia is red blood cell disorder caused by genetically inheriting two sickle genes, one from each parent. People with Sickle Cell Anemia have sickle hemoglobin that makes the red blood cells rigid and causes some red blood cells to form an abnormal crescent moon shape. These abnormal shape makes it hard transport oxygen to bones, tissues & organs. Some complications associated with Sickle Cell Anemia: anemia, infections, severe pain episodes (pain crisis), strokes, growth and puberty delay, loss of vision, organ & bone damage, acute chest syndrome and sometimes premature death.
Increased treatment therapies have helped to improve the health & quality of life for many warriors. Bone marrow transplants has helped to cure many individuals with Sickle Cell Anemia, but everyone is not a candidate for the procedure. The procedure is also very expensive. With your help we can support families to afford medications, provide financial assistance during a bone marrow transplant, and provide educational programs for the community.
The grassroots of Kids Conquering Sickle Cell Disease Foundation started as a support group in a local Central Florida hospital in 2004 and birthed as a foundation in October 2014. We have been providing awareness, education & support services to improve the quality of life for individuals with sickle cell disease and their families. We are excited to have you join our 5K Walk-Run-Jog-A-Thon! Due to the impact of COVID 19 & necessary safety precautions, our walk is virtual, but we look forward to planning future in person walks during safer times. Our dedication to bring awareness, education, support services remains eager to help our community with your support to our charitable, 501c3 organization. 100% of the proceeds are from all our events are tax-deductible and will go directly to fund programs that provide direct support services to individuals with sickle cell & related blood disorders, as well as awareness, education, and advocacy for the community.
May 8-June 19, 2021
Starting Saturday, May 8, and ending Saturday, June 19, 2021
Step 1: Register to Participate
· Now through June 10, 2021 (Register here)
· Everyone will be emailed an official "I Did the 2021 Strides Against Sickle Cell Walk" Kids Conquering Sickle Cell Disease sign to print! ·Personalize it with your time, who you walked with, or what inspired you, and share your #2021strides4SC pics on social media (Facebook: @kidsconqueringscd; Instagram: @kidsconqueringscd Linked In: @kidsconqueringscd
Step 2: Fundraise & Train
· Once you've registered, start fundraising!
· Set up either a personal or team fundraising page to share via email and social media with your friends and family to raise money for Kids Conquering Sickle Cell Disease Foundation.
· Check out the Fundraising Guide & Incentives tab to see the prizes you can earn as you fundraise!
Step 3: Run & Join the Fun!
· Complete your 5K between May 8 and June 19, 2021 @ midnight ET. Run, jog, or walk all at once or over time!
· Join us for the Virtual Kickoff and first time donor and recipient meeting on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 7 PM ET
· Submit your time to be eligible for an exclusive Top Finisher medal.
· Fundraising prizes earned will be will be mailed to your registration mailing address beginning on June 25, 2021.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.