Gate B off Miller Landing Rd
Tallahassee, FL US 32312
Saturday, January 6, 2024
Race start: 8:00 AM
Join Gulf Winds Track Club for the 10th Anniversary Swamp Forest Trail Run on Saturday, January 7, 2024, at Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park. The annual event offers runners a chance to complete a one-loop Quarter Marathon (6.8 mi), two-loop Half Marathon (13.6 mi), or three-loop 20-Mile Challenge (20.4 mi).
Opens Sunday, October 1.
December 10 is the last day to register to receive a race shirt.
This event is limited to 150 runners; sign up early to guarantee your spot!
About the Course
The course consists of beautiful rolling terrain on both single-track and multi-use trails. The Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park Trail is comprised of three main loops: Swamp Forest, Coon Bottom, and Oak Hammock, along with several connecting trails. The course connects these trails into a 6.8-mile loop.
- The Swamp Forest Loop runs next to a seepage basin swamp and a profusion of ferns, passes ephemeral ponds, and a Beech-Magnolia forest.
- The Coon Bottom Loop runs beside a clear sand-bottom seepage stream in many places, and passes through Beech-Magnolia and Spruce Pine forests. The trail crosses a black-water stream that drains a seepage basin swamp. Along the north side of the loop, the trail passes through an upland forest.
- The Oak Hammock Loop runs near the shore of Lake Jackson. Deer can often be seen along the edges of open fields. The adjacent fields contain many fenced gopher tortoise holes.
- The Creek Forest Trail runs around the head of a seepage stream, curves around an ephemeral pond, then encounters a series of meander loops of the main stream. There are large patches of Giant Cane and Arundinaria gigantea along the trail.
- The Big Tree Cutoff passes a swamp that contains Pinckneya, Needle Palms and a stand of huge Tulip-Poplars.
The cut-off time for this event is 1:00 PM. This will give runners 5 hours to complete the 20-Mile Challenge. If you do not finish your second loop in 3.5 hours, you may not continue and will be awarded the half marathon finish time.
Friday, January 5, from 4:00 - 7:00 PM at Cadence Running/Trail & Ski (2743 Capital Cir NE) and Saturday morning at the race from 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM. We encourage everyone to make any attempt possible to pick up your packet early so we can start the race on time.
Read about the 2020 run and view past years results:
- 2023 Results
- 2022 Results
- 2020 Results
- 2019 Results
- 2018 Results
- 2017 Results
- 2016 Results
- 2015 Results
- 2014 Results
Race Contact Info
Race Participant Survey
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.