In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
The Southeastern Guide Dogs MacDill's Paws for Heroes 5k promises to be a fun event. It features chip timing on an accurate, but not certified 5k course in a scenic Tampa (Gadsden) park. Runners (and virtual runners) will receive both a shirt and finisher's medal.
The cost to provide a guide dog for a veteran with a visual impairment or a service dog for a veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder is tens of thousands of dollars, yet veterans receive these extraordinary dogs at no cost. All funds raised will benefit the Paws for Patriots (https://www.guidedogs.org/get-a-dog/) Program. On behalf of American heroes who have sacrificed so much, this program serves active-duty soldiers and retired servicemen and women with the respect and dignity they deserve.
NOTE: Please register by 12 March 2023 in order to be guaranteed a race shirt.
Our race is being held in conjunction with the Southeastern Guide Dogs Walkathon. The Walkathon is Southeastern Guide Dogs' largest fundraiser of the year. The proceeds help us breed, raise, train, and match our amazing dogs with people with vision loss, veterans with disabilities, and children with significant challenges such as vision loss or the loss of a parent in the military. Join us for the Walkathon too!
1. What if the race gets canceled because of weather or another uncontrollable event? In the event that we are unable to conduct the event live, everyone will be converted to a virtual runner and we'll distribute your finisher medal and shirts.
2. Can I register the morning of the race? No. The city doesn't allow sales in the park so there will be no race day registration.
3. When is packet pickup? We will have packet pickup on-site at Gadsden Park on race morning beginning at 7 AM.
4. Can I run/walk with my dog? If you will be participating with your service dog, yes! Other dogs will not be allowed on the course due to our insurance requirements.
5. Is there a finisher's medal? Yes, all participants receive both a race shirt and a finisher's medal.
6. Are there age group awards? Yes, awards will be given to 1st through 3rd in ten-year age groups.
7. How does the virtual run work? It is done on an honor system. You can run your 5k at any time and don't have to report your finish. We'll send out your shirt and finisher's medal the week after the race.
8. What is the race course? The race course is about two and a half loops at Gadsden Park. You can preview the route at https://youtu.be/Ggi-WpyOXj4. We'll provide a course map in race day emails and have copies available for viewing during packet pickup.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.