In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Additional race information can be found at http://wgwltrail.com.
This is not a group race/run. Yet you are itching to compete and keep your athletic edge . . . or you are hoping to improve your health. In either case, you need a race to train for . . . a race to give you Sunshine & Sanity.
Each month, on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of April-August, the Wapsi-Great Western Line Trail is hosting a Virtual 5K Race window. Here are the event dates:
June 5, 6 and 8 (Note date change due to Golf Cart Sunday on June 7th)
July 31, August 1-2 (This is being held in honor of Grace Harken in place of the Wapsi Wiggle that would have been held on August 1st at Riceville’s Wapsipinicon Day. In August, and August only, the race can be run on the WGWL Trail virtual course OR in another location [you must submit your time]. Further details on how to participate from afar will be sent to registered participants. The $5 registration fee covers the technical development and software used for the race. Donations made during registration contribute to Grace's memorial fund. Thank you for supporting the memorial to Grace).
Riceville, Iowa is one hour:
south of Rochester, MN
east of Mason City/Clear Lake, IA
west of Decorah, IA
Racers will be required to download the RaceJoy App and run with their phone. The course route has been developed and mapped by the Wapsi-Great Western Line. You start and end at the Wapsi-Great Western Line Trailhead & Welcome Center (110 East Main Street Riceville IA). Your race is tracked through several technologies. Experience can vary based on several factors to include cell tower coverage, service provider, make and model of phone. Upon completion, racers may submit the recorded time or simply submit “Finished It!”
Top finisher(s) will be posted online. All competitors (timed submissions and finishers) will be entered in a monthly give-away. Prize(s) will be purchased at local businesses to support Iowa’s small business community. Winners will be notified by contact information provided during online race registration. Prizes will be available for pick-up during the following month’s race window.
With each passing month, we hope racers become stronger, enjoy the sunshine and keep their sanity. See all rules for the Sunshine & Sanity Run below, including how COVID-19 Public Health requirements are to be observed.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
Live Phone Tracking, GPS Progress Alerts and Cheers!
We are providing you with RaceJoy as part of the official race experience for the Sunshine & Sanity.
Download the RaceJoy mobile app in advance to ensure proper phone setup. Invite your friends and family to track you and send you cheers!
Some key RaceJoy features include:
This is a self-supported event, especially related to hydration and personal needs. All COVID-19 Precautions as currently advised by Public Health and the CDC should be practiced.
START TIME: 1 hour after sunrise
END TIME: 1 hour prior to sunset
PRICE: $5 per race/per month
REGISTRATION: Registration ends prior to the end of the race’s 3-day window
1. Athletes must download the RaceJoy App to their smartphone, which must be worn on the racer at all times.
2. Athletes will need to follow the automated map guidance (guidance is given visually and audibly) from the race start at the WGWL Trailhead & Welcome Center (110 East Main Street/Hwy 9 in Riceville).
3. Racers must stay on the mapped course or their time will be disqualified.
4. Minimum age of entrants is 6. Adult supervision is required at all times for any minor racer.
5. The race is open for a window of 3-days on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of each month April-August. (The August Sunshine & Sanity Race will be cancelled if Wapsi Day is held on August 1, 2020).
6. Racers are to run between the hours of 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour prior to sunset during the 3-day race window. The course and race submissions are not allowed outside of the 3-day window.
7. Racers are not to run during adverse or hazardous weather. There are no race monitors on site.
8. Sunshine & Sanity officials have the right to postpone or cancel the race to another 3-day window in the 3 days immediately following the initial 3-day window due to weather conditions that pose a threat to participants and/or volunteers or due to public health/governing body requirements. WGWL Trail cannot control government orders that would like cause cancellation, such as no-movement allowed. Notifications will be given to registered racers through the RaceJoy App.
9. Racers must sign a waiver (a part of online registration).
10. Racers (and spectators, pacers, WGWL Trail users) are not to congregate in groups.
11. Racers are to keep a 6’ social distance from others. (Example: Racer is starting at the WGWL Trailhead, next racer waits a few minutes prior to taking position at the start).
Like this page and invite your friends on Facebook.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.