Why Join in the Frenzy?
- Fun, scenic trail run and walk inside the new national park
- Well-marked, carefully-measured, course, with professional chip timing
- Long-sleeve tech shirts, custom bib numbers, finisher medals, and one-of-a-kind awards
- Costumes and crazy outfits encouraged!
- Free on-site child care provided for all participants
- Part of the Calumet Region Striders' Gold Cup Series
- Support nature-based early childhood education
- No hidden processing or credit card fees
- COVID-19 Procedures to keep everyone safe and healthy
Schedule of Events (times subject to change)
- All Registration is Online ONLY, NO paper forms, NO payment accepted on-site
- Friday, October 1
- 10 am - 6 pm - Early Packet/Shirt Pickup at Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN)
- Saturday, October 2
- 10 am - 5 pm - Continued Early Packet/Shirt Pickup
- Sunday, October 3
- 7:30 am - On-site Packet/Shirt Pickup Opens
- 8:30 - Free On-site Outdoor Child Care Opens (Dress for the weather!)
- 8:30 - 1K Kids Fun Run
- 8:45 - 500 m Kids Tot Trot
- 9:00 - 5K Trail Run & Walk (Feel free to wait until 9:10 to start if you prefer more spacing from other participants)
- 10:15 - On-site Awards Ceremony
- 10:30 - On-site Child Care Closes
- Monday, October 4 - Tuesday, November 30
- Awards and door prizes will be available for pick-up at Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN) starting the following day or can be mailed.
- Medals provided for all 5K finishers
- Race number and finisher ribbons for all Kiddie Run participants
- One-of-a-Kind wooden medals for overall and age group awards
- Eligible for points in the Calumet Striders' Gold Cup Series
- On-site outdoor awards ceremony at 10:15.
- All awards may be picked up starting the day after the event, and will be available until November 30 at: Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN)
- Top 3 awards in the following categories:Overall Male/Female
- Overall Masters ( ≥ 40 yr) Male/Female
- Age Group Male/Female: 0-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-80, 80+
- Athena (Female ≥ 170 lb), Clydesdale (Male ≥ 210 lb)
Registration & Fees
Note: Due to Park Service regulations we cannot accept any payment on park property (No cash, No checks, ONLY online registration using your own device)
5 km (Run or Walk)
- Normal Registration (before 11:59 pm Sun, Sept 19) - $29 with guaranteed long-sleeve tech shirt
- Late Registration (Mon, Sept 20 until 9 am Race Day) - $34 with long-sleeve tech shirt, $29 without shirt, not all shirt sizes may be available. You can see what sizes are still available when registering
- $2 Discount for members of the Calumet Region Striders and members of the Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA)
Kiddie Fun Runs (1 km or 500 m)
- Free basic registration, no shirt but all participants get a custom race number and a finisher ribbon
- $10 with long-sleeve tech shirt
- Shirt size guaranteed if signed up before 11:59 Sun, Sept 19. After that you can see what sizes are still available when registering.
- All Fun Run participants must register online, but registration stays open until the end of the event
The course features the scenic trails of the Indiana Dunes National Park, including portions of the Little Calumet River Trail and passes by several historic landmarks. Grass, mulch, dirt trails, and boardwalk will make up the majority of the course. This is a trail run and you should expect uneven surfaces, slippery leaves, roots, rocks, fallen branches, and other obstacles. No strollers or pets allowed.
Directions and Parking
The run and walk will start and end near Chellberg Farm, inside the Indiana Dunes National Park. GPS address for Chellberg Farm is 709 N Mineral Springs Rd, Porter, IN 46304. Please park in the grass lot to the east of Mineral Springs Rd. The race will start and end in near the paved parking lot (on the west side of Mineral Springs Rd).
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- 5K and kid fun runs will have a common start time, but anyone is welcome to wait a few minutes after the group to start if you prefer more spacing.
- New course rerouted to open prairies and wide trails to allow maximum spacing between participants.
- All food and drinks will be individually packaged.
- All activities are outdoors, including child care
- Event volunteers will wear protective equipment, as appropriate
- All CDC and Porter County Health Dept recommendations will be followed
About The Field Station Cooperative Preschool
The Field Station offers nature-based preschool programs for 3-6 year olds and summer camps for preschool-age children. For more information, please visit our website at: www.FieldStationKids.org. The Field Station is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization.