Why Join in the Frenzy?
- Fun, scenic trail run and walk inside the new national park
- Well-marked, carefully-measured, course, with professional chip timing
- Long-sleeve tech shirts, custom bib numbers, finisher medals, and unique awards
- Costumes encouraged - Bring that Halloween costume for one last roll in the dirt!
- Part of the Calumet Region Striders' Gold Cup Series
- Support nature-based early childhood education
- New COVID-19 Procedures to keep everyone safe and healthy
Schedule of Events (times subject to change)
- All Registration is Online ONLY, NO paper forms, NO payment accepted on-site
- Fri, Nov 6, 10 am - 6 pm - Early Packet/Shirt Pickup at Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN)
- 7:30 am - On-site Packet/Shirt Pickup Opens
- 8:00 - 9:00 - 5K Trail Run & Walk, Choose Your 15-Minute Start Time Window During Registration
- 8:00 - 10:00 - 1K Kids Fun Run - Start Anytime!
- 8:00 - 10:00 - 500 m Kids Tot Trot - Start Anytime!
- Awards and door prizes will be available for pick-up at Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN) starting the following day or can be mailed. No award ceremony on-site
- Note there is NO on-site child care this year
Registration & Fees
Note: Due to Park Service regulations we cannot accept any payment on park property (No cash, No checks, ONLY online registration using your own device)
5 km (Run or Walk)
- Normal Registration (before 11:59 pm Fri, Oct 23) - $25 with guaranteed long-sleeve tech shirt
- Late Registration (Sat, Oct 24 until 9 am Race Day) - $30 with long-sleeve tech shirt, $25 without shirt, not all shirt sizes may be available. You can see what sizes are still available when registering.
Kiddie Fun Runs (1 km or 500 m)
- Free basic registration, no shirt
- $10 with long-sleeve tech shirt
- Shirt size guaranteed if signed up before 11:59 Fri, Oct 23. After that you can see what sizes are still available when registering.
- All Fun Run participants must register online, but registration stays open until the end of the event
The course features the scenic trails of the Indiana Dunes National Park, including portions of the Little Calumet River Trail and passes by several historic landmarks. Grass, mulch, dirt trails, and boardwalk will make up the majority of the course. This is a trail run and you should expect uneven surfaces, slippery leaves, roots, rocks, fallen branches, and other obstacles. No strollers or pets allowed.
Directions and Parking
The run and walk will start and end near Chellberg Farm, inside the Indiana Dunes National Park. GPS address for Chellberg Farm is 709 N Mineral Springs Rd, Porter, IN 46304. Please park in the grass lot to the east of Mineral Springs Rd. The race will start and end in near the paved parking lot (on the west side of Mineral Springs Rd).
COVID-19 Safety Protocols - NEW THIS YEAR
- Participants will be spread out, with 15-minute start time windows and 30-second start time spacing between individuals (members of the same household may depart together).
- New course rerouted to open prairies and wide trails to allow maximum spacing between participants.
- No on-site child care this year.
- Kid Fun Runs do not have a collective fixed start time. Kids can run the kiddie courses at any time between 8 - 10 am, to avoid a large group.
- All food and drinks will be individually packaged.
- Event volunteers will wear protective equipment, as appropriate
- No awards ceremony due to staggered start. All awards may be picked up starting the day after the event, and will be available for 30 days at: Extra Mile Fitness (1330 E Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN)
- Eligible for points in the Calumet Striders' Gold Cup Series
- Medals provided for all 5K finishers
- Race number and finisher ribbons for all Kiddie Run participants
- Unique overall and age group awards
- Top 3 awards in the following categories:
- Overall Male/Female
- Overall Masters ( ≥ 40 yr) Male/Female
- Age Group Male/Female: 0-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-80, 80+
- Athena (Female ≥ 170 lb), Clydesdale (Male ≥ 210 lb)
About The Field Station Cooperative Preschool
The Field Station offers nature-based preschool programs for 3-6 year olds and summer camps for preschool-age children. For more information, please visit our website at: www.FieldStationKids.org. The Field Station is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization.