May is Lupus awareness month, a time for sufferers, family members, and supporters to share information, drawing attention to this disease. Lupus is a serious disease that can affect anyone. It is most often diagnosed in young women, between the ages of 15 and 44. While the cause is not known, lupus is an autoimmune disease – in which your immune system attacks healthy cells by mistake – that can potentially damage many parts of the body. There is no known cure for lupus, though effective treatments are available. This month is all about raising awareness, educating wider society, fundraising, and getting behind those scientists that seek to advance our understanding of Lupus. So help spread awareness and contribute to research that will someday provide a cure by doing what you love....running, walking or biking!
All donations will go directly to the Lupus Research Alliance. Their funding is leading to key discoveries that are improving diagnosis and therapies, while enabling researchers to find the way toward prevention and ultimately a cure for lupus.
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR VIRTUAL RUN
- Register for the race
- Print your bib (instructions below)
- Complete a 1k, 5K, 10k or Half Marathon run/walk/bike at your convenience, any time, anywhere between May 1-31, 2021
- Submit your time (optional) to see how you placed overall and print your finisher certificate.
- Celebrate your accomplishment by sharing on social media! #RunsForAPurpose
- Feel free to join the Virtual Runs for a Purpose Facebook Group to share and celebrate with other participants.
- Lupus Awareness Medal
- Printable Race Bib
- Printable Finisher Certificate
HOW TO CREATE A TEAM
- Only 1 person needs to register and create a team name during checkout (team password is optional)
- Share your team name so others can join during registration
- When the 3rd person registers, the first 2 will receive a $5 refund and any other participants who join will automatically get the $5 discount at checkout.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How much of the race fee goes to the charity?
The race fee is what covers the cost for us to put on the race in order to raise funds through donations (during registration checkout). 100% of donations go to the charity.
- How do I print my bib?
Once you register, go to your profile page and scroll down to the event listed. On the right, click "View Digital Bib"
- How do I print my finisher certificate?
Once you submit your time after completing the race, there will be an option to print your finisher certificate.
- Do I have to submit my time to get my swag?
No, submitting your time is optional, your medal and shirt (if purchased) will be mailed to you regardless.
- How do I track my time?
You can use any time tracking app available in the app store. Here is a list of the top 10 apps.
- How do I create a team?
During registration, you will setup a team name. Share your team name with others so when they go to register, they look for your team name to join. Once you have 3 people on a team, you each will get a $5 refund and anyone who joins after the 3rd person will automatically get the $5 discount.
- Do all team members have to run/walk together?
No, that is the great part about a virtual race! Each team member can run/walk at their own pace on their own time.
- Do all team members have to do the same distance?
No, each team member can choose to do their own distance.
- When will I get my medal and/or shirt?
Medals will start to ship early April through the end of the race. Shirts ordered by April 5th will arrive in time for the race. Shirts ordered between April 6th - 20th are not guaranteed to arrive before the race. Shirts ordered after April 20th will ship after the race.