Are you ready for a unique opportunity for a race with no boundaries and no set course? Are you prepared for a chance to explore, choose your own adventure, and set your own direction? Come check out Escape Piedmont!
On August 22nd athletes will start at the same location (only revealed hours before race start time) and from there, all the choices are their own. Any athletes who make it further than 40 miles for the 12 hour race and 25 miles for the 6 hour race, as the crow flies from the start location within the time limit will earn their Escape Piedmont Ultra Medal. The athletes who make it the furthest from the starting point as the crow flies will be our winners of the inaugural Escape Piedmont Event.
This race will be a bit different than what you are used to:
- Post-race party? Nope, everyone will be scattered to the wind. We will instead have a pre-race party the night before to commence your journey.
- Want to learn the course ahead of time? Not a chance! There is no course, and athletes will not know the starting line until 2 hours before the run begins (the race will start within 75 driving miles of downtown Greensboro). At the pre-party athletes will be given a 25 mile radius of where the start line will be so they can plan, and be closer to the race starting line leading up to race time! This isn’t about who gets to a point the fastest, and its not even who logs the most miles, this is about who can get the furthest away by the end of the 6hr or 12hr clock!
Athletes can join the event in a few different formats. Each category will be scored separately:
- 12 Hour Individual Unaided – This is the most intensive version. No sidekick, no mapping software, your phone must be off and no outside aid. You must carry everything you need with you! Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 hour Team Unaided – Like the idea of forging your own route on your instincts alone, but want to make sure you have someone else to blame when you just wind up going in circles? Sign up for the team option! With this option you and your partner cannot leave each other sides. Still no phones or outside aid, but you get to suffer alongside a friend (at least they were your friend, until you spent all night together!) Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 Hour Individual Aided – This is for the person who wants to see what they are capable of, but wants to know they have an out and the help of technology! Aided participants can have their phone or GPS device on at all times and can use it to help them along the way. They can also have a support vehicle to give them ice cold water with mint leaves and massages along the way! Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 Hour Team Aided - Want to spend the night exploring the world around you, but want to do it with a friend by your side, and get a little outside help? The Team aided category allows you to use GPS, a cell phone, and get help from a support vehicle. Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Individual Unaided – For the half crazy! If you want to forge your own destiny, but only until around midnight this race is for you! No phone or GPS allowed, and no outside aid, but you won’t have to see the sunrise! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Team Unaided – Want to compete in the six hour event, but want to be able to blame your friend for why you didn’t do the 12 hour! Sign up for this category! You cannot leave your partner's side, but you don’t have to spend all night with them! No outside aid, and no GPS devices! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Individual Aided – Newer to longer distance events? Like the idea of the event but you are only half crazy? This category allows you to run 6 hours alone-ish. Your friends or family can provide you aid on the course and you can use your phone for directions, and maybe to order a pizza along the way! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Team Aided – This is a great option for your first foray into craziness. Compete alongside your compatriot, have a phone ready for all directions, have family and friends available for aid. Don’t feel like this is a cop-out, you will still traverse miles and miles as you escape alongside a friend! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
Athletes must move entirely on their own two feet. Trails, roads, greenways are all fair game, but athletes cannot cut through private property. Athletes will be monitored through GPS racking devices provided by the race the entire time. No aid stations, no mile markers, no turn signs. You make all the choices. When 6 hours and 12 hours hits we will determine who our winners are! We will have Trivium staff our monitoring and ready to rescue at any time.