Tyson Tough 5k run/walk and 1 mile Fun Run

Sat November 30, 2019 Greenback, TN 37742 US Directions
6945 Morganton Rd
Greenback, TN US 37742

Join us for the Tyson Tough 5k run/walk and 1 Mile Fun Run on Saturday, November 30 at 9:30 AM in Greenback, Tennessee! The race will start and finish at Greenback School. All proceeds go to Tyson Waid and his family.  Tyson is the son of Greenback grad Maggie William Waid and her husband, Colt. At 2 years old, Tyson was diagnosed with DIPG- Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma located in his brain stem. He has been undergoing radiation treatments to shrink this tumor. Come out to beautiful Greenback and show Tyson all the support he has here in East Tennessee!

Registration must be received by Nov. 16 to receive a t-shirt! 

Below is Tyson's story! 

In April of 2016, we finally got the phone call we had waited so long for.  Our fertility treatments worked and were expecting our fist child.  We were so excited to meet our baby around Christmas 2016.  On December 30, 2016, Colt "Tyson" Waid Jr was born.  He was perfect and such a happy baby.  Over the next couple of months, we noticed he was not meeting some of his milestones and not using his right arm and keeping his right hand clenched.  At 4.5 months old, we found out that Tyson had suffered a major stroke while in utero.  As parents we were scared to death when we heard the news.  Not knowing what the outcome and struggles were going to be for our baby boy for the rest of his life.

While we were unsure of how Tyson would be affected by this, we knew we would do everything in our power to ensure he received everything he needed to have the best life possible.  As time passed, we began to adjust to Tysons schedule.  He began therapy at 6 months old, visits to the ophthalmologist for his eyes, neurologist for the stroke and seizures and orthotist for his hand and leg braces.  During all of this, we were blessed with the news that we were expecting again.  We welcomed baby sister Averie Marie Waid into our family in April 2018.  This was an adjustment and we were nervous.  Tyson required more attention than most kids.  He still wasn't able to walk or talk at that time.  

With time, Tyson began to excel.  He was very strong with his left side and found ways of adjusting to his weakness.  He was crawling  or should we say scooting.  It was the cutest thing ever and man boy could he go.  Then before we knew it, he began walking around 17 months old.  We weren't expecting him to achieve this goal until around age 4-5 because of the size of his stroke.  Over the next few months he kept gaining momentum.  He was able to play on his own and get around the house.  In November 2018 began using his first words, mom and dad.  There was nothing sweeter than hearing his high pitch voice.  We love this boy so much and his smile would melt anyone's heart.  We were so proud of him and all of his progress he had made.  He was defying the odds stacked against him.  

In June 2019, we started to notice Tyson regressing in his physical abilities.  He was unable to hold his balance, weight bare on his right side, excessive drooling and his "good eye" began to cross.  He lost most of his speech and mobility very rapidly.  We called his neurologist and got him checked out on July 5th thinking he may have had another stroke.  They ordered and MRI but we couldn't get in for 4 weeks.  While waiting for the MRI he continued to decline daily, so on July 15th we took him to the ER at Scottish Rite in Atlanta.  They admitted him and did and MRI first thing the next morning.  We weren't too worried since we thought it was a stroke and just figured we would be starting over physically with everything.  We could handle that, we had done it before.

On Tuesday July 16, 2019, our life turned upside down.  Our baby boy was diagnosed with brain cancer.  We were shaken and upset, and then we talked to the oncologist.  Our hearts were broken.  Tyson has been diagnosed with a DIPG- Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma located in his brain stem.  Surgery was not an option due to the tumor location and chemo will not even touch this type of tumor.  The only option we had was to start steroids and radiation in hopes that the tumor will shrink.  This form of cancer is rare, aggressive and does not have a good outcome.  Tyson will receive 30 treatments of radiation at the Winship Cancer Center at Emory in Atlanta over a 6 week period.  He will get a follow up MRI 4 weeks after radiation to see if the tumor has shrank any.    When it is needed, Tyson can receive 15 additional treatments of radiation to try and shrink it again.  There are also clinical trials that we hope he can participate in.  For now we are taking things day by day and trying to live as normal of a life as possible.  We treasure every moment with our children and know that Tyson is in the fight for his life.  We are holding onto our faith and praying that our son will be a miracle  

If you would like to follow Tyson journey, you can go to https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community

Race Contact Info

If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.


Race Participant Survey

Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.

Did you participate in the race?

Would you recommend this race to a friend?

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Read how we use cookies and how you can control them by visiting our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, you consent to use all cookies.