We all knew that chasing Leprechauns could be dangerous, but now we have to worry about this COVID chasing us. So to keep us safe, while still maintaining the thrill, this years St. Paddy’s Leprechaun Chase has been converted into a 10 week, 100-mile challenge.
The Challenge starts January 1, 2021 and ends on St. Paddy’s Day, March 17, 2021. While you may run wherever you would like, our virtual route will cover 100 miles in Northern Ireland where St. Patrick lived and traveled during his lifetime. This route begins at Slemish Mountain, travels through Armagh, and then onto the grave of St. Patrick, in Downpatrick. As you track your progress in RunSignUp, you will see exactly where you are on the route as you virtually travel on the narrow roads of rural Northern Ireland. In addition to completing the 10-week 100-mile challenge, you are encouraged to complete a 5K run/walk each week.
How to log your miles:
- If you are already signed into RunSignUp go to the Results tab and continue below.
- If you are not signed into RunSignUp go to: https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/42322#resultSetId-227717
- Find your name.
- You then have to authorize your results by either inputting your email address or last 4 digits of your phone number. (You won't have to do this step if you are already signed into your RunSignUp account.)
- Click on Submit Virtual Results.
- Now put in your miles. the date, and click on Submit Activity.
- You can now go back to the results and see everyone's progress. You can click on your name and see your progress toward your goal. At the top of this page there is a link to a map of our route and where you are virtually located on the map. You use the street view feature on the map to get a picture of exactly where you are on the route. Very cool! (Note: It may take a minute or two for your results to show up after you submit them.)
- If you need to make any corrections or deletions in your activities. You need to log into RunSignUp, go to your activities, and click on the pencil icon to edit or the trash icon to delete.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Will there be any race bling? Yes of course! You will receive a quality long-sleeve green tech shirt (Male/female cuts). You will also receive an awesome custom finisher's medal! We will also have weekly drawings for various prizes throughout the 10 weeks of the challenge.
- Where can I run/walk? Anywhere! This is your virtual run, and we want you to complete it wherever and whenever you want. Sidewalks, paths, treadmill–make this race your own! Want to make this a family run or walk with a stroller or Fido? Now’s the chance!
- Do I need a GPS watch or Strava to show proof that I ran the distance? Most people will be using a GPS watch, but you don’t have to. You will be recording your miles using the Honor System. However, if you are motivated by kudos, you will need to be on Strava.
- My Fitbit keeps track of all the steps I make each day. Including those back and forth to my refrigerator and these really add up. Can I count these miles? No. You should only be counting the distances you cover when you actually go outside to run or walk (except for those on a treadmill). The route through Northern Ireland does not go through houses or next to anyone’s refrigerator, so we are not counting those miles in your house.
- How will you keep track of our distances? Once you finish your run or walk on a certain day, just go to Runsingup and enter your miles (see instructions above).
- Is this the running motivation that I need this winter? Why yes. This is exactly the running motivation you need this winter. When the skies are gray and there are no actual races in sight, you can be happily virtually running through the green countryside of Northern Ireland. Also, all your friends will be doing it, so you won’t want to be left out.
- Do Holland Running Club members get a discount? Yes, member of the Holland Running Club will automatically receive a $5.00 discount if they sign up for the challenge using the same RunSignUp account that they used when they paid their membership to HRC.
- This is awesome! What is your motivation for organizing this event? The Holland Running Club's mission is to promote a healthy lifestyle through running, not only for our members, but for the larger community. This is also a fundraising event where a portion of the proceeds go directly to the Lakeshore Chapter of myTEAM TRIUMPH, an organization that is dedicated to providing the experience of road racing to individuals with disabilities.