The mParks (Michigan Parks and Recreation) Foundation is hosting a Virtual 5K (3.1 miles), the month of September, to raise funds along with our community partners to provide accessible recreation opportunities for parks and programs. (You can run, walk, skateboard, SUP, bike, surf, hand-cycle or swim a 5K anytime during the month of September.)
Through the generosity of those who have participated in this event, in 2021 we have established the "Play is Essential for All" Grant. The monies raised will provide a specific piece of accessible equipment to the mParks partnering communities. Examples of equipment include: beach mat, beach sand bike, wheelchair swing, accessible picnic table, pool lift chair, etc.
mParks is committed to proving parks and recreation matter; that they improve quality of life and contribute enormously to our economy. mParks provides advocacy, resources, and professional development opportunities to a devoted and diverse membership of park and recreation agencies, professionals, vendors, and advocates.
The mParks Foundation was established in 2002 to provide funding for accessible recreation and education. We have donated more than $3,000,000 to Michigan communities to build accessible playgrounds and waterparks.
It is our goal to make recreation available to all Michigan citizens, regardless of ability. Each of our partnering communities has a specific project or program that the monies raised will go towards.
Thank you for helping us move Michigan forward as one of the top states for accessible recreation.
WHAT IS A VIRTUAL RACE?
A virtual race is a race that can be run (or walked) from any location you choose. You can run, jog, or walk on the road, on the trail, on the treadmill, at the gym or on the track (or even at another race). You get to run your own race, at your own pace, and time it yourself. Your medal will be shipped directly to you.
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Participation Medal (optional)
- T-shirt (optional)
- Healthier body
EXTRA INCENTIVES FOR RAISING MORE FUNDS
- If the runner raises $250: sweatshirt
COST FOR PARTICIPANTS
- $35 each, plus the processing fee.
- Auburn Hills Parks & Recreation
- Chesterfield Leisure Services
- Eaton Rapids Parks
- Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation
- Kentwood Parks and Recreation
- Lansing Parks & Recreation
- Mackinac Island
- Midland Parks & Recreation
- Monroe Parks and Recreation
- Northwest Ottawa Rec Authority (NORA)
- Oakland County Parks & Recreation
- Orion Township Parks & Recreation
- Oxford Township Parks & Recreation
- Pittsfield Township Parks & Recreation
- Saline Parks & Recreation
- Sterling Heights Parks & Recreation
- St. Joseph Parks & Recreation
- Waterford Parks & Recreation
- Ypsilanti Township Recreation
- mParks Foundation