The mParks (Michigan Parks and Recreation) Foundation is hosting a Virtual 5K (3.1 miles), the month of September, to raise funds along with our community partners to provide accessible recreation opportunities for parks and programs. (You can run, walk, skateboard, SUP, bike, surf, handcycle or swim a 5K anytime during the month of September.)
mParks is committed to proving parks and recreation matter; that they improve quality of life and contribute enormously to our economy. mParks provides advocacy, resources, and professional development opportunities to a devoted and diverse membership of park and recreation agencies, professionals, vendors, and advocates.
The mParks Foundation was established in 2002 to provide funding for accessible recreation and education
The mParks Foundation has donated more than $3,000,000 to Michigan communities to build accessible playgrounds and waterparks. We have donated hunting blinds on public lands, have made it possible for people in wheelchairs to get to the water when they are at the beach and have paid for lifts for people to get in and out of boats, at our State Parks.
It is our goal to make recreation available to all Michigan citizens, regardless of ability. Each of our partnering communities has a specific project or program that the monies raised will go towards.
Thank you for helping us move Michigan forward as one of the top states for accessible recreation.
WHAT IS A VIRTUAL RACE?
A virtual race is a race that can be run (or walked) from any location you choose. You can run, jog, or walk on the road, on the trail, on the treadmill, at the gym or on the track (or even at another race). You get to run your own race, at your own pace, and time it yourself. Your medal will be shipped directly to you.
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Participation Medal
- Healthier body
EXTRA INCENTIVES FOR RAISING MORE FUNDS
- If the runner raises $250: sweatshirt
COST FOR PARTICIPANTS
- $33 each, plus the processing fee.
- Auburn Hills Parks & Recreation
- Canton Leisure Services
- Chesterfield Township Parks & Recreation
- Clare Parks & Recreation
- Delta Township Parks & Recreation
- Farmington Hills Special Services
- Ferndale Parks & Recreation
- Garden City Parks & Recreation
- Genesee County Parks & Recreation
- Howell Parks & Recreation
- Huron Valley Pools and Fitness
- Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation
- Lansing Parks and Recreation
- Livonia Parks & Recreation
- Mackinac Island
- Madison Heights Parks & Recreation
- Monroe Parks and Recreation
- Northwest Ottawa Rec Authority (NORA)
- Novi Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services
- Oakland County Parks & Recreation
- Orion Township Parks & Recreation
- Oxford Township Parks & Recreation
- Rochester Avon Recreation Authority (RARA)
- River Rouge Parks & Recreation
- Southfield Parks & Recreation
- Sterling Heights Parks & Recreation
- Troy Recreation Department
- Ypsilanti Parks & Recreation
- Ypsilanti Township Recreation
- mParks Foundation