In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto. If you still have issues after this, please contact us.
This event was first organized in 1975 to honor the memory of eight Philadelphia Firefighters who lost their lives battling the Gulf Oil Refinery fire on August 17, 1975. The Memorial Run has continued annually in order to remember all other Philadelphia Firefighters who have died in the line of duty.
This year marks the 45th Anniversary of the Gulf Oil Fire (Aug 17, 1975). We are also remembering the following:
35th Anniversary of FF Joseph Konrad (E25; June 13, 1984)
25th Anniversary of FF John Redmond (L11) and FF Vincent Acey (R1) (Jan 28, 1994)
20th Anniversary of FF Eric Casiano (E2; May 4, 1999) and FF Joe Devine (E28; July 29, 1999)
15th Anniversary of LT Derek Harvey (SQ72; Jan 15, 2004), FF Tracy Champion (E54; Jan 28, 2004) and CPT John Taylor and FF Rey Rubio (E28; Aug 21, 2004)
10th Anniversary of LT Stephen Cospelich (L8; May 20, 2009)
5th Anniversary of FF Joyce Craig (E64; Dec 9, 2014)
WHAT: 5K run, 1 mile fun run
WHEN: Saturday October 5, 2019 (rain or shine), 11am
WHERE: Pennypack Park – Pine Rd
WHY: Proceeds to benefit the local burn centers in the Philadelphia Area
HOW MUCH: $20 before 9/15/19, $35 after 9/16/19. $5 for 1 mile fun run
MORE INFO: contact FF Alfred Concha, E25/B; firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
1. THERE WILL BE NO RECRUITING OF TEAM MEMBERS!
2. Team scoring is based on the cross-country scoring system, i.e. the placement (order of finish) of the first five team members is added together to come up with a team score. So if all five team members finish in first through fifth place in the overall competition that team would have fifteen points. If the five team members finish in 2nd, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 30th place overall that team would have 62 points. We may only count four runners depending on how many teams we have and the number of runners per team(s).
3. The purpose of these rules is to encourage participation and competition in the interest of building camaraderie and esprit de corps.
4. Teams must be comprised of members of a recognized PFD unit. A recognized PFD unit can be a company (e.g. E. 2 or L.3), a station (e.g. E2/L3/M31), an administrative unit (FMO, Fire Prevention, Fire Academy, SOC, Safety Office, EMS administration, HMAU etc.), or a combined location (e.g. members of FMO and Fire Prevention running as team FAB or SOC and Safety running as team Fire Academy). For purposes of team competition deactivated PFD units are eligible to field a team (e.g. L.7, E.31, E.1, L.1 etc.). Chiefs, aides, and EMS field units must run with a team from their assigned station.
5. There can be more than one team from a recognized unit or location (e.g. E. 2 and L. 3 each have a team or SOC and Safety combine for a Fire Academy team while the Fire Academy staff also has a team in which case they will be assigned numbers).
6. Members of a team from a deactivated PFD unit MUST HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED TO THAT UNIT WHEN IT WAS DEACTIVATED. THERE WILL BE NO RECRUITING OF TEAM MEMBERS!
7. Team members MUST pre-register as individual runners. Teams MUST submit the names of all team members by 10/17/2018. The Ed Friel Memorial Cup will be engraved with names of ALL team members and will be held by the winning team until next year’s run. Responsibility of engraving and maintenance belongs to the winning team.
AWARDS: No award Duplication! Awards to 1st Men’s and Women’s Overall; Awards to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each age group, both divisions. Ed Friel Cup awarded to the winning team in the Fire Service Team competition only. Only one award will be given to any entrant. Race professionally timed by Bryn Mawr Racing Company.