In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Living donations change the lives of those that give and receive. We are celebrating and supporting transplant donors, transplant recipients, and the MUSC Transplant Center with a 5K. This 3.1-mile running event, in partnership with Run Cane Bay, will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2022, at 8 am in Summerville’s Nexton Neighborhood.
• Each day 22 people die waiting for an organ transplant.
• More than 120,000 people currently await transplants nationwide, including more than 1,000 in South Carolina.
• More than 85 percent of those people need a kidney transplant, and the numbers continue to grow.
• Improving education and access.
• Recruiting and retaining the world’s best transplant team.
• Embracing innovation and collaboration in research, using team science to improve long-term survival, to prevent organ rejection, and to discover alternatives to transplants.
In December 2020 our founder, Frank Ramirez, volunteered to be a Good Samaritan kidney donor. Through the MUSC Transplant Center, Frank started a kidney transplant chain that would involve three recipients and three donors, giving the gift of life to three people – changing six lives forever! His eyes were opened to the need and great work being done, so he had to act.
The Transplant Strong 5K was created by Frank to remember and honor the acts of the three voluntary kidney donors and celebrate the new lives of the three recipients. This event highlights the need for living donors and helps raise funds to benefit the MUSC Transplant Center.
Participants receive a race shirt with registration and can select individual sizes through October 14, 2022. After October 14, 2022, the availability of shirt sizes will be based on the remaining inventory.
Participants can order additional race shirts through the race webpage to benefit the MUSC Living Donor Institute.
Costumes to celebrate the season are welcome. There will be a costume contest after the race and prizes for the winners. Bonus points for the best kidney costume!
• $30 - Early Bird. . . 9/05- 9/26
• $35 - Regular Bird. . . 9/27- 10/10
• $40 - Procrastinating Bird. . . 10/11 - 10/29
Thank you for running to support the MUSC Transplant Center and MUSC Living Donor Institute! Tell your friends, share the registration, and spread the word about the need to support transplant programs and provide much-needed transplant donors.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.