In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Knoxville Open Water Swimmers (KOWS) and Tennessee Aquatics are proud to host the “Bridges to Bluffs” Open Water Swim. This is the only 10k swim in the country with an “off the boat” start and downstream swim with a two-person relay option.We are a U.S. Masters sanctioned open water event (sanction number 157-W004).
Included with registration, swimmers and their kayakers (pilots) will be treated on Saturday to a pre-race dinner cruise on the Star of Knoxville (mandatory athlete/pilot and course preview). Additional meal tickets will be sold beginning September 10th on a first come, first serve basis until the boat is full. Swimmers and guides will receive a quality race shirt, custom finisher’s award, post-race lunch, and race photos.
What you need to know:
1. There is a 4 hour cutoff for this event. Here are the times (on average) you need to understand before signing up: 4hr 10K swim = 38 minutes 37 seconds per mile for 6.2 miles.
This breaks down to a 2:12/100yd or 2:24/100m.
2. Relay transition time is included in total race time.
3. Swimmers must provide their own kayak. Kayak rentals are available through our sponsor, Billy Lush Board Shop, for B2B REGISTERED swimmers. Rented boats will be delivered on race morning. Details will be provided in registration confirmation. SUPS (stand up paddle boards), canoes, and 2 person kayaks are not allowed. All kayaks must have a PFD (personal flotation device).
4. ABSOLUTELY NO HEADPHONES/WATERPROOF IPODS ALLOWED.
5. You must be a member of USMS upon registration (can purchase one day membership for $20 with registration - relay participants must register separately). Total including processing fees (prior to price increase) = $125 for 10K solo and $85 per relay. Non-USMS members add $20 for one-day licence.
6. Price increase June 1.
7. There will be a current! Water temps generally range from 70-76 degrees in September.
8. All B2B registered participants will receive a special offer through "Crushing Iron" for a custom Training Peaks 10K Bridges to Bluffs Open Water Training Plan. Details provided in confirmation email.
9. No refunds will be issued.
10K Relay: Wetsuits/tri kits/swim skins (Ironman swim regulations) are allowed for this swim. Swimmer #1 jumps from the boat and swims the first 5K to the relay exchange while swimmer #2 kayaks alongside for support. At the relay exchange, swimmers and pilots are allowed to exit to shore for wetsuit purposes and exchange gear. There will be plenty of volunteers on hand to assist. Swimmer #2 will complete the swim, with the traditional touch/slap/kiss of the finish arch.
10K Solo Swimmers: This race will follow English Channel swimming rules. This means: 1) No swim suits below the knees or shoulders; 2) No wetsuits or suits that provide buoyancy; 3) No swim aids; 4) There is to be no contact between you and your pilot's boat or other swimmers.
** All swimmers (relay and solo) must provide their own kayak, pfd, and nutrition.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.