In order to use RunSignUp, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto. If you still have issues after this, please contact us.
Welcome to Rise, Run and Shine Running Festival 2018!
We invite you all to beautiful Wakefield park/Audrey Moore RECenter to share the trails, meet people, raise funds for local non-profit organization Shelter House, (a community-based non-profit organization serving homeless families and victims of domestic violence by providing crisis intervention, safe housing and supportive services.), maybe create new friendships and discover ways to support each other, and finally, to have some fun.
Rise, Run and Shine Running Festival is not a single race but an all-day running celebration, promoting healthy living and solidarity. The event starts at 8 am and last till 2 pm and gives people a chance to participate at one or more events (sorry 6-hour runners, not you:). The Festival offers 5K, 10K, 6-hour and 3-hour run, and Kids Fun Run for the youngest. Besides running you will also be able to stretch and do some guided exercises under the guidance of our friends at PR Performance Fitness. Sensei Jonce of Goju Ryu Ironfist, whose been part of all our festivals, will be leading a basic introductory karate course for the youngest (10:45 am) and all others (11:15 am). There will also be two raffle drawings (at 11 am and 2 pm) with wonderful prizes, donated by local businesses (participating partners). Read more about raffles below.
By offering such variety of options we hope to appeal to those still on a couch as well as complete novice runners but also to seasoned long distance champions and everyone in between; we’d like to see young and less young families, retirees, school kids and their teachers, walkers and ultra marathoners.
1. Check in: 30 minutes before a start of a run for all events.
2. Registration: We strongly encourage participants to register online, where registration will be opened till Friday, 3/30, 8:00 pm. Race day registration will be available up to 15 minutes before a start of each run but the fees will be higher. Each runner/walker must register and sign a waiver.
3. Registration Fees (Include a ceramic mug with a spoon - see below)
4. Course and Course Markings: Both courses (5K and Kids Fun Run) will be marked with signs, flags, possible arrows spray-painted on the ground, and/or streamers.
5. Course Surface: All events, except for the Kids Fun Run (see the course), will take place on a 5K course. The courses is 97% on trails, fire or gravel roads, which means lots of roots, rocks, leaves etc. Runners may need to cross/jump over tree logs, cross streams, and climb some steep hills. There is approximately 120 feet of elevation gain on the 5K course. Start and finish for all distances will be the same - at the Northern side of the Audrey Moore parking lot (next to the tennis courts and skate park).
6. Aid Station: there will be only one aid station, located at start/finish line and will offer water and some snacks (bananas, PB&Js, pretzels and similar). Cups may be available but we encourage you to bring your own bottle to help reduce waste.
7. Timing: No chips or any of that modern stuff. We will do it the old fashion way (manually) with help of modern technology. So, it certainly won’t be to a one hundredth of a second correct, heck, it may even not be to a second correct, but in general, you will have pretty good idea about your run time.
8. Parking: There is plenty of free parking available right next to start/finish area.
9. Be Green: in an effort to reduce amount of trash we encourage participants to bring their own water bottles or reusable cups.
10. Refunds: There will be a 50% refund if a request is made by to March 15. After that day NO refunds will be provided.
11. Food: There will be coffee in the morning and some snacks (bananas, PB&Js) available during the entire event and some more substantial vegan dishes at the end of the 3-hour run (11 am) and 6-hour run (2 pm).
12. Restrooms: There are restrooms at the start/finish line (in the Audrey Moore RECenter), 50 yards away.
13. Driving Directions: Park is called Wakefield Park/Audrey Moore RECenter. Address is: 8100 Braddock Rd, Annandale, VA 22003
14. Dogs: This is a dog friendly park. So, feel free to bring your dog(s) with you.
15. Kids: The little ones are welcome to join you. If you want them to officially participate that is fine as long as you sign a waiver on their behalf. If they join you unofficially that’s perfectly fine too.
16. Strollers: NO. The course is NOT stroller friendly. Too many roots, rocks, tree trunks, loose gravel. Simply not safe. Safety first. All participants are asked to respect all park rules and regulations.
Your bib is your raffle ticket. Most runners will start one race and will receive one ticket, but if you run 3 hour run and 10K or 5K and 10K you will receive 2 ticket. Kids Fun Run yields NO tickets as each participant will receive their own price.
There will be two raffle drawings: first one around 11 am and second one around 2 pm or immediately after last runner finishes 6h run, but number of prizes at each drawing will depend on number of items businesses will donate to the festival. There will be Trader Joe's bag of goods, Altra running shoes, gift certificates for yoga studio, running store, local restaurants and other services etc.
As it has been practice in the past we want to help again a local non-profit organization with a donation and that is one of the reason this event is taking place. We have partnered again with Shelter House and 100% of your donations and portion of event's total revenue will benefit the organization and the clients they serve. You can donate by visiting donation page. You are encouraged to visit their website and learn more about their work and opportunities to get involved.
Note about the park:
Wakefield Park/Audrey Moore RECenter offers many other outdoor and indoor opportunities: indoor swimming pool with showers, sauna, volleyball, handball and racquetball courts, playgrounds, fitness, gymnasium, skate park, soccer, football, basketball and baseball fields, and outdoor tennis courts. A guarantee for an active day for entire family. For most indoor activities a fee applies, however, during the festival runners will have FREE access to the swimming pool/showers/sauna. Your bib will be your pass. With other words, you will be able to clean up before going home if you so decide.
Each participant (excluding Kids Fun Run, they will get their own awards) will receive a ceramic mug with a spoon at the event. No show, no giveaway - sorry, we cannot mail them.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
Additional race information can be found at https://www.getupandgocoaching.com.
All distances (6 hour, 3 hour, 5K and 10K) will take place on this 5K loop. It starts with a gravel road which in less than 1/3 of a mile turns into a single trail and it remains so until the last 1/3 of a mile, which is paved path but allow running on a side of it on gravel and grass. It is mainly flat with one "bigger" climb and one half is quite twisted. More than 3/4 of the course goes through the woods. There are some tree trunks to jump over as well as couple stream crossings. When it rains and a few days after it can be pretty muddy.
View 5K Course Map here.
Kids Fun Run is a mile long loop. First 1/8 of a mile follows the 5K course on gravel road and then turns left into a woods on a descending fire road. After another 1/8 of a mile or so follow very briefly a gravel road, crosses paved path and joins again the 5K course on a single trail, which for the last 1/3 of a mile is a paved path but allow running on a side of it on gravel or grass. There are some exposed roots, rocks, tree trunks, stream crossing to deal with, it may be muddy when it rains.
View Kids Fun Run 1 mile course here.
Here is a short video from our Mason District Running Festival that took place in September 2017. This video offers pretty good idea of what you can expect this time around as well.
Join this event and invite your friends on Facebook.