In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
The Hill Topper 5k takes runners through the beautiful neighborhood and parks of Church Hill and ends right in the middle of the Church Hill Irish Festival. All proceeds benefit the Robinson Theater Community Arts Center and local community projects supported by The Rotary Club of Church Hill.
We've decided to commit to a 100% virtual race due to the Governor’s group restrictions that are also affecting the Church Hill Irish Festival. Due to understandable constraints of putting on a race in this environment, there is a HARD CAP OF 150 RUNNERS, so sign up now! Additionally, shirt sizes are set in stone, so be prepared to accept and love the size you choose or to barter with other runners from a safe distance.
Virtual Race Weekends are March 13-14, 20-21, 27-28 (you can run whenever you want but these weekends we'll be providing race packets and information).
Race packets can be picked up on Friday March 12 (6-7pm), Saturday March 13 (9-10am), Saturday March 20 (10-11am), and Sunday 21 (9-10am – Race Day). We will set up a table at Patrick Henry Park (25th & Broad – Start/Finish Line). Be sure to wear your mask! We will be there rain or shine!
Race Route. We will mark the route to the best of our ability with small flags but please familiarize yourself with the course. This is the same route as in previous years (race map on RunSignUp race website) but there is NO STREET CROSSING SUPPORT so be careful and obey all traffic laws/rules/suggestions, especially on Jefferson Ave. and the circle on 25th (The Roosevelt). If you can't get to Church Hill but still want to run a 5k, cool, we're not judging in these hard times, just let us know when you report results so your downhill 5k doesn't shatter our records permanently.
When Can I Run? Anytime between March 13th and March 26th. You will be submitting your time through RunSignUp and you will have until April 5th to submit. For those that want to record their participation but keep their time secret you don’t need to submit a time.
Are There Prizes? You bet! To simplify everything, we'll be drawing random runners that submitted times through RunSignUp for the prizes. We're still all super impressed with your 5k times so go get it (safely)!
When Will The Hill Topper Be Back For Real? As soon as the Church Hill Irish Festival is back on the books.
Should I Wear A Mask? Yes, absolutely. Better safe than sorry and, this way, you get to blame any slow times on the mask and traffic!
Start/Finish Line (25th & E Broad Street)
1. Head West Down Broad Street towards 24th.
2. Turn Right down 24th Street (go 1 block)
3. Turn Left on Marshall Street (go 3 blocks)
4. Cross Jefferson Ave. and run up the path to the left of Jefferson Park (you will run next to outdoor exercise equipment)
5. Once you reach the top of the hill turn Right and Run through the park towards Alamo BBQ (Clay & Jefferson)
6. At the Circle at Alamo (Clay & Jefferson) turn Left and run up Jefferson until you reach the circle at 25th (Sub Rosa & The Roosevelt)
7. Take your 2nd Right and run East up M Street (The Roosevelt will be on your right)
8. Run 6 blocks up M Street (you will hit Mile 1) to 31st Street.
9. Turn Right on 31st Street and continue 4 blocks to Broad Street.
10. Turn Left on Broad St and run 1 Block towards Chimborazo Park
11. Once you hit 32nd Street run into Chimborazo Park keeping the museum on your right and run through the "Circle"
12. Continue through the park (up and over the hill) towards the back corner of Chimborazo Park (towards 36th & Government Road)
13. As you Exit the Park you will see gates to the Dog Park, take a right and run down behind the park towards the Dog Park
14. Follow the road down into the parking lot and continue following the road as it stays along the bottom of the hill (Mile 2).
15. You will see a chain gate (should be down if not run around) go through that gate as the road turns to dirt.
16. Follow the path around to the right until you see the STAIRS on the Right. Yes take a right up the stairs!!
17. At the top of the stair run straight and take a left at E Grace Street (first road after block of 3 houses on left).
18. Stay left and run down the path along Chimborazo Park (keep park on the right).
19. Take a left at 29th Street and head towards Libby Hill.
20. Run into the circle and take a right into Libby Hill Park (you will be cutting back through the park to 28th Street)
21. Run through the park (paved road), cross Franklin and run up 28th up towards Broad Street.
22. At Broad Street take a Left and head back to 25th.
Start/Finish Line (25th & E Broad Street)
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
25th & Broad St (Church Hill) - Richmond VAOpen in External Application
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.