Update Canaan Valley Half Marathon scheduled for August 22-23, 2020.
July 1, COVID-19 Update
Good News - Next Monday will officially be Medal Reveal Monday! Beyond looking cool, there’s something else about these medals that I can’t wait to share!
Race Weekend - So there’s a lot of uncertainty with rising cases of COVID-19, and reopening so to err on the side of caution I’m going to move forward with an extremely conservative race plan. However, this too could change.
1. We will not be using our originally planned course this year due to concerns with shuttles and COVID19. The start and finish line will both be at the Canaan Valley Resort. I’m currently working on finalizing the courses and will hopefully have those for everyone in the coming days.
2. I plan on sending out a survey to Runners next week about the option of running the Half Marathon and 10k on Saturday as well as on Sunday. Also allowing runners to do the 5k on Sunday as well as Saturday. If there is enough interest I would like to give the option to runners to pick their day which would allow for the best spacing.
3. I’m also planning on pushing the first gun time on Saturday and Sunday to 6 am. Once we postponed because it’s a warmer time of year in theory, I would like to give runners the option to start earlier. We can have some really cool misty mountain mornings that time of year that can make for optimal running weather. By pushing the start earlier it also allows us more time to spread runners out.
4. I’m planning on starting runners one at a time as a time trial instead of a mass or group starts.
The goal is 1 runner every 20 seconds - 1 minute, depending on restrictions. Don’t worry if you are running as a group or small group we will let friends who travel together run together in groups of 2-4 if needed. I’m still working on logistics for arrival times for runners, packet pick up, etc… By late next week, I’m hoping to have our executable plan finalized.
5. Virtual Runners - By this Friday, 7/3, you will be transferred to a new event with instructions on how to log your time and other information. I will also be sending an email to you to confirm your participation in the Virtual Race. In the email, I will also remind you to confirm your mailing address to make sure your SWAG is delivered to the correct address.
6. Virtual Options - Given the uncertainty surrounding the unprecedented circumstances I will extend the option to participate VIRTUALLY through the month of July ending on July, 31 at midnight. So if you are not comfortable with participating in person you may opt to participate VIRTUALLY if you let us know by 7/31. Please email us at email@example.com and put VIRTUAL in the subject line and we will transfer you to our Virtual event.
7. Deferrals - Our complementary Deferral period is over. You may still defer at any time for an additional fee before 8/15. Here are instructions
This is only if you want to defer from this point on for a fee. If you have already deferred through email we will take care of this for you and you don’t need to do anything at this time.
I hope this helps everyone and really looking forward to seeing everyone at the starting line! Thank you for bearing with us in this unprecedented time! Stay healthy, Keep Running and we will see you soon!
Additional race information can be found at https://www.canaanvalleyhalfmarathon.com.
Join us for the 2nd Annual Canaan Valley Half Marathon, 10K and 5k on August 22-23, 2020! This road race takes place in one of the East Coast's most idyllic settings and is just a short drive from two amazing towns and any outdoor activity you could possibly want! Our destination race features the scenic brilliance of Tucker County, a place already known for its outdoor opportunities. Canaan Valley is just miles from the rugged backcountry of Dolly Sods and Canaan Mountain, the amazing vertical feet of Blackwater Falls State Park, and the luxury of Canaan State Park Resort. Neighboring towns Davis and Thomas offer eclectic restaurants, multiple breweries, art galleries, and live entertainment just miles from the racecourse that make the Canaan Valley Half Marathon,10K and 5k a perfect reason to make this a runcation. We are currently working on logistics and will hopefully be adding a 5k as well so stay tuned! Although it is a world away, Canaan Valley is only a half day's drive from major metropolitan areas including Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Columbus.
*** UPDATES TO COURSE DUE TO COVID-19 WILL BE PUBLISHED ON JULY 1ST
The 2nd Annual Canaan Valley Half Marathon & 10k on April 26, 2020, will start at the base of the Canaan Valley Ski Resort. Runners will head down Slope Road towards Rt. 32 for approximately 1/2 mile. Once runners reach Rt. 32 they will take a right and head North on Rt. 32 for approximately 2 3/4 miles before turning around and heading South on Rt 32. Runners will head south for approximately 1 1/4 miles before turning Right onto Canaan Valley Maintenance Road. Canaan Valley Maintenance Road is a gravel road, which runners will continue you on for approximately 300 yards before merging onto a paved golf cart path. Runners will continue on the golf cart path for 1 mile through the beautiful Canaan Valley Resort Golf Course until they merge onto Main Park Road inside Canaan Valley State Park. After approximately 1.2 Miles on Main Park Road, 10k will take a Left towards the finish line and Half Marathon participants will continue through the park. Half Marathon Participants will run the remainder of the race inside the beautiful Canaan Valley State meandering their way through Park and turning around at approximately 10 miles and returning to the finish line.
Half Marathon Course will have approximately 940 Elevation gain.
10k Course will have approximately 400ft.
5k Course Map Coming Soon!
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
We have built a great and easy to use Running Pace Calculator. There are built-in presets for a 5k, 10k, Half Marathon, Marathon or you can enter any distance of your choice. Whether you are running for fun or training for an upcoming race and looking to set a new PR, we know how important your pace can be! After looking through the internet we couldn’t find a good FREE PACE CALCULATOR so we decided to design our own! Click the link above to check it out!
We launched our weekly Blog in late March 2020! Every Monday morning we will be releasing a new running and fitness-related article. Click the link above to check it out.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.
Stay up to date on Discounts, Promotions and other Running Related News(Don't Worry We Won't Spam You. You can Unsubscribe at Anytime)