Firecracker is back and in-person with a "hybrid" event for 2021, and a few changes.
So you might be asking yourself - what's the same?
- July 4th is still July 4th!
- Harvey West Park is still hosting the start and finish.
What's different? Pretty much everything else.
- We will only be doing a 5K event this year. We'll be back with the 10K and Kid's 1K in 2022.
- Our registration numbers have been cut essentially in half due to state, county, and city requirements. That means we will be able to only have 500 participants in the 5K.
- Registration is open to California residents only.
- We won't be doing a mass start. Instead we will have a staged start that takes place over a three hour time span. That means you get to pick your time and you can start anytime in a 10 minute window from 8:00am to 11:00am. It also means that you can sleep in if you want.
- You can run alone or you can run with your "pandemic pod" or family group.
- There will be a timed chip start and finish to enable the course to essentially be open for 4 hours.
- There is a slight adjustment in the 5k course to accommodate the long course opening and traffic management for the neighborhood.
- The finish line will be open until noon.
- Because of the staggered starts and finishes over a long period of time we won't be able to have an on-site awards ceremony. Basically, we won't know who won until the last person finishes and all the results are tabulated and posted later in the day.
- Once you've finished you will pick up your medal and shirt, as well as water and a snack and get to go home and have a shower while you wait for the results! No loitering in big groups at the finish.
We know it's different. We know it's not optimal. The silver lining is that you get to do a live race with official start and finish times!
IMPORTANT Covid -19/SARS CoV-2 INFORMATION FOR YOUR RACE.
- THERE WILL ONLY BE A 5K EVENT
- THERE WILL BE NO IN-PERSON, PAPER-BASED REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT.
- ALL REGISTRATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED ONLINE PRIOR TO THE EVENT.
- THERE WON'T BE A MASS START FOR THE EVENT. WHEN YOU REGISTER YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PICK A START TIME WINDOW FOR YOUR EVENT. YOUR REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION EMAIL WILL CONTAIN DETAILS ABOUT ARRIVAL AND RACING.
- YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE THE COURSE AND THEN LEAVE THE PROPERTY.
- ALL AWARDS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER THE EVENT IS COMPLETED AND YOU WILL INFORMATION ON HOW AND WHERE TO PICK UP ANY AWARDS.
- FACE MASKS WILL BE REQUIRED EXCEPT WILL RUNNING.
- ANY CHANGES BASED ON CURRENT COVID INFORMATION AND COUNTY/STATE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE COMMUNICATED PRIOR TO THE EVENT.
As with everything else during this past year, we would ask that all participants be flexible and understanding if the situation arises that we need to make changes at the last minute.