**Please note these answers will continue to change with the changing COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. We will continue to keep you informed.**
What is the Dim Sum and Then Some Race?
- The Dim Sum 5K & 10K is held by 501(c)(3) nonprofit social services organization, Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA). CMAA’s mission is to serve the needs, promote the interests, and enhance the well-being of low-income immigrants and refugees of all generations and to foster their participation in U.S. society. CMAA’s goal is to make the biggest impact we can right now through our continued COVID-19 relief efforts, which will be supported by proceeds from the race.
More than just a run/walk, this race offers each participant a unique cultural experience by drawing from the wide range of ethnicities that CMAA serves in Uptown and Elgin, IL. Prior to the race, runners are treated to two rites of good luck: everyone partakes in a Laotian ceremony where string is tied around each other’s wrists, and then colorful lion head dancers will perform a traditional Chinese dance to kickoff the race. Once the race has begun, participants will pass some of Uptown’s historic businesses and continue to run along the beautiful Chicago lakefront. Lastly, each finisher will have the opportunity to participate in a post-race block party, where they’ll receive dim sum from Furama Restaurant and bubble tea from Joy Yee while enjoying more performances by the CMAA youth dance troupes.
What time does the race start?
- Registration & Packet Pick-Up begins at 6:30 AM
- 10K Wave Start beings at 8 AM
How much does the race cost?
- The 5K costs $40 through July 22, $45 through August 6, $50 on Race Day
- The 10K costs $50 through July 22, $55 through August 6, $60 on Race Day
What is included in the race swag?
- All participants will receive a race short sleeve shirt, race bib, and finisher medal!
What are the shirt sizes?
- Shirt sizes range from x-small to 2XL
- Sizes are limited
- Shirts are unisex fit
PRE-RACE PACKET PICK-UP
When is Packet Pick-Up?
- Date: Friday, August 6, 2021
- Time: TBD
Where is Packet Pick-Up?
RACE DAY QUESTIONS
What time should I arrive for the race?
- Please arrive ready to run at 8AM. With lifted COVID protocols, we will send the 10K participants at 8 AM and the 5K participants at 8:10-15 AM.
Will gear check be available?
- Limited Gear check will be available for this race but we highly suggest you to keep all personal items at home or in your vehicle.
Where can I park?
- There will be street parking around the locations.
Where is the start and finish line?
- Start and Finish Line will located on the street near the Chinese Mutual Aid building: 1016 W Argyle St #3715, Chicago, IL 60640
Do I need to wear a mask?
- No. However, if you want to wear one for your personal well-being then please wear on.
Will there be awards?
- For the top THREE (3) male & female finishers. Everything will be mailed.
What is the course like?
- The course will be ran on the lakefront path. Check out the course tab for street-by-street directions and maps.
Are strollers allowed?
- Yes, strollers are allowed. We just ask that you start in the back of your pack.
Can I walk the 5K?
- Yes, walkers are always welcomed!
Are dogs/animals allowed?
- While we love your fur-babies, dogs and other lovely pets are not allowed on the course.
How is the starting line set-up?
- Due to lifted COVID guidelines, the 10K race will begin together at 8AM and the 5K will begin together at 8:10/15 AM.
Where are the aid/water stations located?
- There will be three water/aid station located on the course for the 10K and 1 for the 5K.
When will packets ship for the Virtual Option?
- Our team will start shipping out packets early August. You will be given an alert when the packets start shipping!
What does the Virtual option consist of?
- The Dim Sum Virtual Run will consist of a 5k or a 10k. We’ll ship you your goodies right to you. Then you run (or walk) the distance you pick at any location you choose! But make sure you don't forget to take some great photos and share!
Do I submit my Virtual Results?
- Yes! We would love to see it! You can submit them HERE!
What is your COVID-19 Response and Monitoring?
- For the past 4 years, the Dim Sum race has brought our community together. Throughout, the safety and well-being of our athletes, spectators, staff, volunteers and our community at-large, has been our number one priority. With that in mind, rest assured that we are closely monitoring COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and will continue to do so over the coming months preceding the Dim Sum race. As of now, our planning and preparations for yhis year’s Dim Sum events are well underway and will continue unabated. We are working hard to ensure that you are able to enjoy the Dim Sum race experience you have come to expect. If you are unable to participate in person, we will have a virtual option available as well. In the coming months, we will continue to monitor the situation and as race day approaches, any decisions will be made in concert with our local, state and federal officials and with your best interests in mind. We will communicate with you as soon as possible should there be any potential changes and what our collective options are.
What are my options if the Dim Some race switches to all virtual?
- In the event that we have to turn the Dim Sum race into a completely virtual event, all participants who are registered will have the following options:
- Transfer your registration to the virtual option – your packet will be mailed to you at no additional cost.
- Transfer your registration to the 2022 Dim Sum race.
- Donate your entry to Chinese Mutual Aid Association's COVID-19 relief efforts.
We know that there is a lot of planning and preparation from your side as well and want to be able to give everyone ample time to make any necessary decisions.