In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto. If you still have issues after this, please contact us.
The inaugural Zen Squirrel Trail Runs are coming to Chapel Hill, NC. Grab your adventure loving family and friends and join us for a morning of fun, challenge, and healthy competition.
The 5 and 10 mile race courses, and the 2 mile fun run (added on 8/27), meander through the neighborhood trails of Briar Chapel, a new and growing community located 15 minutes south of downtown Chapel Hill. These scenic, forest covered courses include a mixture of smooth and flowing dirt trails, rock and root strewn single-track, and challenging hill climbs. Prepare for an awesome day of trail running action!
After the race, stick around for fun post-race festivities - food (including breakfast burritos!), music, massage/stretching, awards, games/giveaways, the FREE kids ‘Race for Treasure’, and the presentation of The Jester Group’s donation to the Haw River Assembly.
The 5 and 10 mile race courses, and the 2 mile fun run, start with .3 miles of wide-open pavement, perfect for establishing pace and position. Other than a few road crossings, this is the only pavement in the race. After entering the single-track trails, 5 mile racers run along semi-technical terrain, up gradual hill climbs, and along relatively flat stream valleys before finishing in a large grassy community park. The 10 mile course includes all the terrain of the 5-mile course as well as steep hill climbs and several root and rock filled sections of Bennett Mountain, a portion of the Briar Chapel trail system that is filled with technical terrain. In addition to the challenge of the added length and elevation, the 10 mile course has decidedly more technical terrain than the 5 mile course. The 2 mile fun run, which is not timed, is perfect for families with kids (aged 6+) and for those looking to get a small taste of trail running. While there are some hills, rocks, and roots along the fun run course, the majority of the terrain is less technical than the 5 and 10 mile race courses.
2 Mile Fun Run (not timed)
• $25 by 9/1/19
• $30 from 9/2/19 – 9/27/19
• $35 on-site on race day 9/28/19 (if space permits)
• $30 by 9/1/19
• $40 from 9/2/19 – 9/27/19
• $45 on-site on race day 9/28/19 (if space permits)
• $35 by 9/1/19
• $45 from 9/2/19 – 9/27/19
• $50 on-site on race day 9/28/19 (if space permits)
Expect Excellence. Your Registration Fee Includes:
• Limited race entry to provide an intimate and friendly race experience and to prevent overcrowding on the trails
• Professional race operations
• Fun and challenging course design
• Superbly marked course - you won’t get lost
• Race tee that you’ll love and want to wear
• Exciting atmosphere with great music
• Excellent volunteer support
• Frequent and well-stocked aid stations every 1-2 miles along the course
• Medical support (Thank You Avance Care)
• Accurate and timely posting of results
• FREE pre and post-race massage, stretching, ASTYM, kinesiology taping, and injury prevention screening (Thank You Cora Physical Therapy)
• Abundant post-race food including breakfast burritos, baked goods, fruit, bars, chocolate, chips, etc., etc. – yum, yum (Thank You Breakaway Café)
• Complimentary post-race beer - one/racer or volunteer 21+, additional beer available for purchase (Thank you and Cheers to Vecino Brewing)
• FREE kids ‘Race for Treasure’
• FREE professional post-race photos for download
• Awards that go 5-deep overall and for each age group (Thank You Fleet Feet Carrboro/Durham)
• Great swag for random giveaways at the awards ceremony – includes gift certificates, hydration packs/bottles, running gear, race merchandise, and a crisp $100 dollar bill (Thank You to The Jester Group)
• More awesome swag for random giveaways at the awards ceremony – three pair of trail running shoes from On and 50 Roadless Races hats (Thank You to Boro Realty)
• 7:30am - Check-in Opens
• 8:50am - Pre-Race Brief
• 9:00am - Race Start (5 and 10 mile)
• 9:02am - Start (2 mile fun run)
• 9:30am - Post-Race Food
• 10:30am - FREE kids ‘Race for Treasure’ (kids 2-11)
• 11:00am - Awards, Games, Giveaways, and Donation to Haw River Assembly
Bring your kids to the event and get them excited to race for treasure. We will meet in a large grassy area near the staging area, divide up the kids into age groups, and set them off on a short out and back ‘race’. Think sprint vs endurance. Parents will be right there the entire time. After the ‘race’, all participating kids can choose an item from the Treasure Chest. Hint – no candy or food, just small toys. We basically buy out the Dollar Store.
Awards will be presented to the top five male and female overall and age group finishers for both the 5 and 10 mile races. Age groups: 13-Under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70+.
After presenting the awards, we will randomly give away (in a very fun way) plenty of great swag including On trail running shoes, hats, gift certificates, hydration packs/bottles, running gear, race merchandise, and a crisp $100 dollar bill. All racers and volunteers are eligible but you must be present to win.
Finally, in support of their efforts to protect the Haw River and Jordan Lake, The Jester Group has committed to donate $5/racer to the Haw River Assembly. Specifically, these funds will be earmarked to the Haw River Learning Celebration, a three-week hands-on environmental education program that helps connect local 4th grade students to the watershed. This is huge and pretty darn awesome! The Jester Group will present the donation at the awards ceremony.
• Earphones are not permitted in the race. Wearing earphones during a trail race is not safe and is frustrating for those trying to pass. Unplug and enjoy the trails and the comradery!
• Pets, pacers, and baby strollers are not permitted on the course.
• Respect the environment. No littering.
• Excellent sportsmanship is an expectation at our events. Respect other racers, volunteers, and race staff.
• Follow the marked course and stay on designated trails. No shortcutting.
• Please inform our timers if you drop out of the race.
• Bib numbers must visible from the front at all times.
• Run at your pace. There are no cut-off times.
• Credits and Refunds – Receive a coupon code for future Roadless Races if you must cancel your race within the following time periods: Cancel 14 or more days before the race to receive a 100% credit of your registration fee. Cancel 4-13 days before the race to receive a 50% credit of your registration fee. No cash refunds. To cancel, email request to email@example.com
• Transfers – Transfer your entry to another racer if you can not attend the race. Transfers must be initiated online at least 3 days prior to the race. We do not allow race day transfers. We do not allow transfers to another race, but you can cancel your race for full or partial credit (see credit policy above). To transfer to another racer, go to runsignup, input your confirmation code, and follow directions for bib exchange.
• Minimum Age for 5 and 10 Mile Races – Racers must be at least 12 years old to race unaccompanied in the 5 or 10 mile race. Racers 8-11 years old must race with a registered parent or guardian, unless approved by race director. Contact race director if interested in having your child compete unaccompanied.
• Minimum Age for 2 Mile Fun Run – Runners must be at least 10 years old to run unaccompanied in the 2 mile fun run. Runners 6-9 years old must run with a registered parent or guardian, unless approved by race director. Contact race director if interested in having your child run unaccompanied.
• Cancellation – Racers will receive a credit for 100% credit of the registration fee paid, should we need to cancel the event due to severe weather or any other reason.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.Questions?
Additional race information can be found at http://roadlessraces.com.