DUATHLON: 5K RUN, 18 MILE BIKE, 5K RUN
Run Course: Both duathlon run courses and the 5K run course are the same. The turnaround point is marked, volunteers will direct you.
Transition: There is one single transition area in the parking lot which is located in front of the airport terminal building.
18 Mile Duathlon Bike is an out and back course on Hwy 71. Participants will proceed south on Hwy 71 to Woolsey Road and then return to Drake Airport and the transition area. The bike course has less than 300 feet elevation gain.
- Courses are marked however, it is the racer's responsibility to know the courses
- Water, Gatorade, Oranges and Bananas will be available as each racer finishes
- There are 2 aid stations on the run course - at the turnaround point and the transition area
- Neutral Bike service will be provided before the race and at the mandatory bike check-in by Lewis & Clark Outfitters.
- Event will be held rain or shine
- 10 and 11 years old's may compete in a team with permission from race director.
- Teams can be made up of two or three people. One person can do two legs of the race
- Chip Timing: Team members will transfer the ankle bracelet to team member upon completing their particular event. If there are two separate runners, the team must use a race belt
- After the run starts, the relay members are allowed back in transition and they wait at the bike. When the runner comes to the bike, they pass off the timing chip then the biker puts on their helmet and unracks their bike. When the biker returns to the transition area AND after the biker racks the bike, then the chip is passed off to the runner.
LOCATION: Fayetteville Executive Airport, Drake Field - 4500 S. School Ave, Fayetteville, AR 72701
- All Duathlon competitors are REQUIRED to have a current USA Triathlon license or purchase a one event or annual USAT license in order to compete
- USAT License Info: Adult - $15 one event or $50 annual. Youth (17 and under) - $15 annual. There is not a one-event license option for youth.
- When registering for The Iron Pig Duathlon, if competitors are NOT USAT Triathlon annual license holders you will automatically be charged for either the one event or annual license fee depending on which one you choose.
- A competitor can apply the one event license fee to an annual membership later in the year with USAT.
- Only one-day licenses may be purchased at packet pick-up.
- Parking is adjacent to the Transition area, in the Airport parking lot
- Do not leave personal gear or equipment on the racecourse
- USA Triathlon sanctioned and all USA Triathlon Rules and Regulations will be observed
- Event will be held rain or shine
- NO Parking on Hwy 71B
See "Note from Head Referee"
See How to Race for additional tips
TRAINING PLAN: A 10 Week online training program to get you ready for the Duathlon - Train for Change. Weekly written plans; to include running, cycling and strength training, scheduled clinics. Details will be emailed after registering. Cost is $85 (does not include entry fee). Program begins 2/1. Final date to register is 2/14. Training plan will be an option when registering
PACKET PICKUP / REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Friday, April 24
Packet Pickup and onsite registration will be from 4 - 7 pm at Lewis and Clark Outfitters, 4915 S Thompson, Springdale, AR 72764 (next to Lake Fayetteville). Or you can register online and pick up your packet on race day.
RACE DAY PACKET PICKUP and REGISTRATION
All events: 7 - 8:30 am at the Fayetteville Executive Airport, Drake Field, 4500 S School Ave, Fayetteville, AR 72701. Packet pickup is inside the airport terminal. The airport is located only 5 miles from downtown Fayetteville on Hwy 71. Event parking is adjacent to the Transition area in the airport parking lot
You may now register online until race start time - just remember you will need to allow time to pick up your bib and get your gear in transition (Duathlon only) before it closes at 8:55 am.
Bike Time Trail may register online until 9 am.
TIMING CHIP AND RACE NUMBERS
- This event is timed with an electronic chip, which is to be worn around a participant's ankle on a ankle bracelet (provided)
- Each participant (team or individual) must wear the ankle bracelet - NO CHIP, NO TIME!
- Lost chips or chips not returned will result in a $45 replacement fee. If you elect not to finish the race (DNF), please return your chip to the FINISH LINE immediately.
Race Numbers (4)
- Bike frame number – attach to the seat post (see onsite example)
- Helmet number (FRONT of helmet)
- Bib number must be visible when you start the run AND must be worn on the front
- Body Tattoos for race number - Left Upper Arm Race #, Right Calf Race #, Left Calf Racing Age or Team Code (TM – Men, TW – Women, TC – Coed)
RACE-DAY BASICS CLINIC
Friday, April 24 at Lewis and Clark Outfitters in Springdale from 6 - 7 pm USA Triathlon certified coaches will discuss race-day preparation, nutrition, key do's and don'ts. Don't forget to bring your questions!
- 7:00 - 8:30 am - Packet Pickup and Registration (inside airport terminal)
- 7:00 am - Transition Opens
- 7:00 am - Chip Distribution at transition begins
- 8:30 am - Chip and packet pickup closes
- 8:30 am - Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting
- 8:40 am - National Anthem and Prayer
- 8:50 am - Last chance to return to transition
- 8:55 am - Transition closes
- 9:00 am - Individual Males start
- 9:02 am - Individual Females AND Team Runners start
- 11:00 am (approx.) - Transition area opens to retrieve bikes
- 11:15 am - Giveaway prizes: prizes will be given away in waves with all participants present eligible for "Grand Prizes"
- 11:30 am - Awards
TIME LIMITS: Run 1 hour, Bike 1.5 hours, Run 1 hour
MINIMUM AGE: To compete as an individual 12 years of age. 10 / 11 year olds may compete as teams with permission from Race Director
Online Links -
TRANSITION/STAGING AREA DIRECTIONS: The transition area is located in the first parking area of the Airport parking lot (closest to Hwy 71). Transition opens at 7 am.
- The MOUNT / DISMOUNT LINE is located on South side of Transition Area
- NO RIDING IN TRANSITION AREA
- Helmets will be checked to make sure they are Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) approved before you enter the tranisition area
- Chin straps must be buckled at all times while on the bike before, during and after the race
- Bar end plugs will be checked. Lewis and Clark Outfitters will provide them at no charge, but you have to replace them yourself.
- 4 bikes per side or 8 bikes per section
- Bike rack position in the Transition Area in on a First-Come basis with your personal items on the LEFT of your bike as you are facing the racks. DO NOT move someone else's equipment
- There is a limited area and time available for athletes to rack their bike and set up a transition site. Please keep gear to a minimum and organized during event.
- NO GLASS CONTAINERS allowed in Transition Area
- NO ONE is allowed to remove bike until Transition Coordinator opens area
BIKE AND RUN COURSE
- Both Motorcycle and race support personnel will be acting as draft marshals on the course
- Bib number must be visible at ALL TIMES and MUST be worn ON FRONT while running. It is MANDATORY during both runs and when you cross the finish line.
AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
Locally made custom awards will be presented to the top three finishers in each male and female age category, as well as in each team category except Masters. The top-three overall, first place Masters and first place Grand Masters male and female finishers will receive an additional custom award from L & L Metal Fabrications.
Overall (Male & Female)
Juniors (Male & Female): 12-15, 16-19
Adults (Male & Female): 5-year age groups per USA Triathlon rules
Masters 40-49 (Male and Female): First-place only
Grand Masters 50+ (Male and Female): First-place only
Clydesdale (220lb. +): 39 and under; 40+
Athena (165 lb. +): all ages
Teams: (teams may consist of two or three individuals)
POST-RACE AMMENITIES, DOOR PRIZES AND RACE GOODIES
- Food and beverages will be served to all participants following each race. Friends and family will have the option to purchase both.
- Door prizes will include gift certificates, event merchandise, and tons of sponsor products