The golden rule of fundraising: ASK and TELL.
Every person you know has women in their lives whom they love. Therefore, more often than not, simply asking them to donate to your Susan G. Komen Philadelphia MORE THAN PINK WalkTM fundraising drive is all it takes. It’s also important to share why this cause matters to you and why you are making the effort to fundraise. “Ask and tell” as many people as possible, and watch your impact on our fight skyrocket.
Other effective tips
- Set a goal and share it. We suggest that you start with at least $250 and that you make the first gift to yourself to demonstrate your commitment.
- Utilize your online fundraising center. Look for the Manage Fundraiser link near your fundraiser name on your registration confirmation email. In addition, you can listen to the fundraising video for instructions how to access and personalize your center; send solicitations and thank you notes; and, much more!
- Open your address book. Leave no stone unturned when reaching out to friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, your faith community and so forth. Ask people you interact with every day, every now and then, and even those people you see just once or twice a year.
- Ask everywhere. Use every form of communications you can to ask for donations—social media (Facebook), emails, posted letters, phone calls, personal visits, signs and posters.
- Utilize employer matching gifts to double or triple your donations.
- Team up. Work as a team of registered participants to fundraise as a group.
- Engage people in groups. Take advantage of neighborhood gatherings, office lunches, PTA meetings, etc. to ask for—and receive—multiple donations at one time. Moreover, people are more likely to make a donation when they see someone else doing it!
- Host a fundraising experience. Fundraising events don’t need to be extensive and involved. A bake sale, neighborhood car wash or pet wash, game night with family and friends, or even a night with “the girls” doing home manicures can turn into a huge fundraising opportunity.
- Put out the jar. Make it easy for people to “contribute a few bucks” when it’s most convenient. Put collection jars in the lunchroom, at your office’s reception desk or on your kitchen table. Ask businesses you frequent often if they’d display a jar for you, too.
- Let us support you. We significantly enhanced our top-fundraiser support program last year, which is led by a hands-on committee dedicated to helping you be the best fundraiser you can be. If you need help or ideas, contact us at Walk@KomenPhiladelphia.org.
- Get social—harness the power of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and more! Wherever you are on social media, use your pages to network to ask for donations from friends, family and colleagues. Share the link to your 2020 Walk personal page frequently with all your networks and watch the donations pour in!