HOW IT WORKS. . .
- Each team will consist of four riders
- Teams are handicapped with a time deduction or addition based upon four factors listed below
- Time trial start based upon team seeding. Highest handicap will begin first
- Start times posted the day before the event
- Mandatory pre-race meeting the night before. But, there will be food and drink!
HANDICAP SYSTEM (Four Person) - download and SAVE Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
- USA Cycling Road Category (if not currently a member, then a teammate's score will be 5 or if once a USAC member then the rider's ranking will be the last category on record). If a MTB rider, see conversion.
Gender - for each female on the team, 15-minutes will be subtracted.
Weight - Team weight over 799lbs will receive a 30-minute advantage. NOTE: each member will be weighed (if team value is above the threshold) upon check-in. Cycling clothes w/o shoes, helmet, equipment, etc."
Age - (a person's age is calculated based upon their age on 12/31/2018):
- MTB Pro is Road – Cat 1
- MTB Cat 1 is Road – Cat 2
- MTB Cat 2 is Road – Cat 3
- MTB Cat 3 is Road – Cat 5
- Together your team total must be 10 points or greater to not incur a time penalty.
- Point handicap: Each point over 15, 5 minutes will be subtracted. Each point under 10 will add 5 minutes. Examples: Team total 20. 25 minutes subtracted from the team’s total time. Team total is 5. 25 minutes will be added."
- 15-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 180
- 20-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 200
- 25-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 220
* - download and save Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
RULES (4 person)
- No drafting except with teammates. USA Cycling officials will be enforcing the rules.
- Rules of the Road must be adhered to at all times. There is NO INTERSECTION CONTROL throughout the course.
- MANDATORY attendance at pre-race meeting the night before.
- Changing of bikes or rider exchanges can only take place at designated transitions.
- Team cars are not allowed to follow the riders.
- One vehicle per team with a max. width of 81” and a max. length of 285” (including bike racks). No trailers allowed.
- Each rider must do a minimum of two legs with a maximum of four.
- The final section must have a minimum of three riders and does not count toward the team maximum.
- First section can only have one rider.
- No more than two riders from a team can be on the course at the same time except for the final section of the course.
- The official time of a team will be taken on the slowest rider across the line.
- All riders from each team must check-in at the finish for a team to receive an official time.
- A separate driver is encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Event held rain or shine
- Time cut-off is 13 hours.
- Aid can only be rendered by teams at transition areas unless a medical emergency has occurred. Race staff must be notified.
- Neutral support will be on the course and they are the only ones who may provide mechanical assistance outside the transition areas.
- Ultimately, all teams and riders must be self sufficient.
- There is a section where team cars must divert due to low overhang road obstruction.
- Friends and family are strongly discouraged from following riders on the course. Race officials and law enforcement will be on the course and if necessary penalize and/or disqualify teams if non-essential personnel are impeding the event or civilian traffic.
COURSE DETAILS (four person)
- * - Mile 17 - Crosses
- * - Mile 30 - St. Paul
- * - Mile 47 - Red Star
- *- Mile 72 - Ozone
- Mile 95 - Top of Climb (Hwy 103)
- Mile 118 - TBA
- Mile 139 - Slate Hill Rd / Hwy 215
- Mile 161 - Mountainburg
- Mile 179 - Brentwood rest area
AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
- Top three handicap
- Top three gross
- Handicap times will be considered the official R.A.P.T.O.R Cycling relay times.
EQUIPMENT (4 and 2-person teams)
- Both Time Trial and Road bikes can be used
- Bike changes can only be made in the transition area.
FIELD & AGE LIMITS
- 4-person - 80 teams
- 18 year age minimum
- Potato and salad bar, plus craft beers the night before
- Continental Breakfast on race morning
- Beer and Barbeque at the finish
- Finisher award
- Giveaway prizes
PRE-RACE MEETING (mandatory) & PACKET PICKUP INFO:
- Mount Sequoyah - has several options from cabins to dorm-style rooms. Something for every budget and the location is spectacular. See LINK for full details. Please mention the RAPTOR Cycling Relay when booking. Call 800.760.8126 or visit website.
SIGN UP HERE