HOW IT WORKS. . .
- Each team will consist of four riders
- Teams are handicapped with a time deduction or addition based upon four factors listed below
- Time trial start based upon team seeding. Highest handicap will begin first
- Start times posted the day before the event.
HANDICAP SYSTEM (Four Person) - download and SAVE Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
- USA Cycling Road Category (if not currently a member, then a teammate's score will be 5 or if once a USAC member then the rider's ranking will be the last category on record). If a MTB rider, see conversion.
Gender - for each female on the team, 15-minutes will be subtracted.
Weight - Team weight over 799lbs will receive a 30-minute advantage. NOTE: each member will be weighed (if team value is above the threshold) upon check-in. Cycling clothes w/o shoes, helmet, equipment, etc."
Age - (a person's age is calculated based upon their age on 12/31/2019):
- MTB Pro is Road – Cat 1
- MTB Cat 1 is Road – Cat 2
- MTB Cat 2 is Road – Cat 3
- MTB Cat 3 is Road – Cat 5
- Together your team total must be 10 points or greater to not incur a time penalty.
- Point handicap: Each point over 15, 5 minutes will be subtracted. Each point under 10 will add 5 minutes. Examples: Team total 20. 25 minutes subtracted from the team’s total time. Team total is 5. 25 minutes will be added."
- 15-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 180
- 20-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 200
- 25-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 220
* - download and save Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
RULES (4 person)
- No drafting except with teammates. USA Cycling officials will be enforcing the rules.
- Rules of the Road must be adhered to at all times. There is NO INTERSECTION CONTROL throughout the course.
- Changing of bikes or rider exchanges can only take place at designated transitions.
- Team cars are not allowed to follow the riders.
- One vehicle per team with a max. width of 81” and a max. length of 285” (including bike racks). No trailers allowed.
- Each rider must do a minimum of two legs with a maximum of four.
- First section can only have one rider.
- No more than two riders from a team can be on the course at the same time except for the final section of the course.
- If two riders start on a section (besides the final section), both riders must complete the section in order to continue.
- The official time of a four-person team will be taken on third rider across the line.
- The final section must have a minimum of three riders and does not count toward the team maximum.
- A separate driver is encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Mandatory sign-in the morning of the race for review of rules.
- Event held rain or shine
- Time cut-off is 13 hours.
- Aid can only be rendered by teams at transition areas unless a medical emergency has occurred. Race staff must be notified.
- Neutral support will be on the course and they are the only ones who may provide mechanical assistance outside the transition areas.
- Ultimately, all teams and riders must be self sufficient.
- There is a section where team cars must divert due to a low overhang road obstruction.
- Friends and family are strongly discouraged from following riders on the course. Race officials and law enforcement will be on the course and if necessary penalize and/or disqualify teams if non-essential personnel are impeding the event or civilian traffic.
COURSE DETAILS (four person)
10 Sections (Strava Links):
- Mile 21 - Crosses
- Mile 39 - Pettigrew
- Mile 65 - Salus
- Mile 89 - McCormick's
- Mile 102 - Hwy 103/215 intersection
- Mile 118 - Turner Bend
- Mile 140 - Franklin Bridge / Hwy 215
- Mile 156 - Mountainburg
- Mile 1769 - Brentwood rest area
- Start - Marshalltown to Crosses
- Crosses to Pettigrew
- Pettigrew to Salus
- Salus to McCormick's
- McCormick's to Hwy 103/215
- Hwy103/215 to Turner Bend
- Turner Bend to Franklin Bridge
- Franklin Bridge to Mountainburg
- Mountainburg to Brentwood
- Brentwood to Finish - Marshalltown
AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
- Top three handicap
- Top three gross
- Handicap times will be considered the official R.A.P.T.O.R Cycling relay times.
- No double dipping of awards.
EQUIPMENT (4 and 2-person teams)
- Both Time Trial and Road bikes can be used
- Bike changes can only be made in the transition area.
FIELD & AGE LIMITS
- 4-person - 80 teams
- 18 year age minimum
- Optional potato and salad bar, plus craft beers the night before the race. $10 per person
- Race t-shirt with entry with the option to upgrade style
- Continental Breakfast on race morning
- Beer and Barbeque at the finish
- Goody bag with sponsor products
- Finisher award
- Giveaway prizes
PRE-RACE MEETING (optional) & PACKET PICKUP INFO:
RACE DAY PARKING AND STAGING LOCATION:
- Mount Sequoyah - has several options from cabins to dorm-style rooms. Something for every budget and the location is spectacular. Please mention the RAPTOR Cycling Relay when booking. Call 800.760.8126 or visit website.