SOLO DIVISION INFO
HOW IT WORKS
- Riders are handicapped with a time deduction or addition based upon four factors listed below
- Time trial start based upon seeding. Highest handicap will begin first
- Start times posted the day before the event
- Mandatory pre-race meeting the night before. But, there will be food and drink!
HANDICAP SYSTEM (Solo) * - download and SAVE Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
- USA Cycling Road Category (if not a member, then a score of 5 or if once a USAC member then the rider's ranking will be the last category on record). If a MTB rider, see conversion.
Gender - 60-minute advantage for females.
Weight - Team weight over 204lbs will receive a 20-minute advantage. NOTE: each member will be weighed (if team value is above the threshold) upon check-in. Cycling clothes w/o shoes, helmet, equipment, etc."
Age - (a person's age is calculated based upon their age on 12/31/2018):
- MTB Pro is Road - Cat 1
- MTB Cat 1 is Road – Cat 2
- MTB Cat 2 is Road – Cat 3
- MTB Cat 3 is Road – Cat 5
- Must be a Cat 3 or greater to not incur a time penalty.
- Point handicap: Each point under 3, 15 minutes will be added. Each point over 3, 15 minutes will be subtracted . Examples: Cat 1. 30 minutes added. Cat 5 - 30 minutes subtracted.
- 20-minute advantage if age is equal to or greater than 50
- 30-minute advantage if age is equal to or greater than 60
* - download and save Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
RULES (Solo) - UPDATED* as of 1/2/2018
- * - No drafting allowed. USA Cycling officials will be on the course.
- Rules of the Road must be adhered to at all times. There is NO INTERSECTION CONTROL throughout the course.
- MANDATORY attendance at pre-race meeting the night before.
- NO changing of bikes outside of designated transitions.
- Team cars are not allowed to follow the riders.
- One vehicle per team with a max. width of 81” and a max. length of 285” (including bike racks). No trailers allowed.
- A team support car is encouraged, but not mandatory for the solo division.
- Event held rain or shine
- Time cut-off is 10 hours or 7pm.
- Aid can only be rendered by team support at transition areas unless a medical emergency has occurred. Race staff must be notified.
- Neutral support will be on the course and they are the only ones who may provide mechanical assistance outside the transition areas.
- Ultimately, all riders must be self sufficient
- There is a section where support vehicles must divert due to low overhang road obstruction.
- Friends and family are strongly discouraged from following riders on the course. Race officials and law enforcement will be on the course and if necessary penalize and/or disqualify teams if non-essential personnel are impeding the event or civilian traffic.
COURSE DETAILS (Solo):
- Mile 17 - Crosses
- Mile 41 - Turner Bend
- Mile 62 - Slate Hill Rd / Hwy 215
- Mile 80 - Mountainburg
- Mile 98 - Brentwood rest area
AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
- Top two handicap
- Top two gross
- Handicap times will be considered the official R.A.P.T.O.R Solo division times.
- Both Time Trial and Road bikes can be used.
- Bike changes can only be made in the transition area.
FIELD AND AGE LIMITS
- Solo - 15 individuals
- 18 year minimum age
- Potato and salad bar with craft beer the night before
- Continental Breakfast on race morning
- Beer and Barbeque at the finish
- Finisher award
- Giveaway prizes
PRE-RACE MEETING (mandatory):
RACE DAY PARKING AND STAGING LOCATION:
- Mount Sequoyah - has several options from cabins to dorm-style rooms. Something for every budget and the location is spectacular. See LINK for full details. Please mention the RAPTOR Cycling Relay when booking. Call 800.760.8126 or visit website.