SIGN UP HERE
HOW IT WORKS
- Each team will consist of two riders
- Teams are handicapped with a time deduction or addition based upon four factors listed below
- Time trial start based upon team seeding. Highest handicap will begin first
- Start times posted the day before the event
- Mandatory pre-race meeting the night before. But, there will be food and drink!
HANDICAP SYSTEM (Two Person) - download and SAVE Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
- USA Cycling Road Category (if not currently a member, then a teammate's score will be 5 or if once a USAC member then the rider's ranking will be the last category on record). If a MTB rider, see conversion.
Gender - for each female on the team, 30-minutes will be subtracted.
Weight - Team weight over 399lbs will receive a 20-minute advantage. NOTE: each member will be weighed (if team value is above the threshold) upon check-in. Cycling clothes w/o shoes, helmet, equipment, etc."
Age - (a person's age is calculated based upon their age on 12/31/2018):
- MTB Pro is Road – Cat 1
- MTB Cat 1 is Road – Cat 2
- MTB Cat 2 is Road – Cat 3
- MTB Cat 3 is Road – Cat 5
- Together your team total must be 5 points or greater to not incur a time penalty.
- Point handicap: Each point over 7, 10 minutes will be subtracted. Each point under 5, 10 minutes will be added. Examples: Team total of 10. 30 minutes subtracted. Team total of 3. 20 minutes added.
- 20-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 100
- 30-minute advantage if total team age is equal to or greater than 110
* - download and save Excel spreadsheet to determine team handicap - LINK
RULES (2 person)
- No drafting allowed except with teammate. USA Cycling officials will be on the course.
- Rules of the Road must be adhered to at all times. There is NO INTERSECTION CONTROL throughout the course.
- Mandatory attendance at pre-race meeting the night before.
- Changing of bikes or rider exchanges can only take place at designated transitions.
- Team cars are not allowed to follow the riders.
- One vehicle per team with a max. width of 81” and a max. length of 285” (including bike racks). No trailers allowed.
- Each rider must do a minimum of two legs with a maximum of three.
- Two riders can be on the course at the same time and the final leg does not count against rider maximum.
- The time of a team will be taken on the slowest rider across the line if more than one rider is competing on the final section.
- All riders from each team must check-in at the finish for a team to receive an official time.
- A separate driver is encouraged, but not mandatory
- Event held rain or shine
- Time cut-off is 10 hours or 7:00 pm.
- Aid can only be rendered by teams at transition areas unless a medical emergency has occurred. Race staff must be notified.
- Neutral support will be on the course and they are the only ones who may provide mechanical assistance outside the transition areas.
- Ultimately, all teams and riders must be self sufficient.
- There is a section where team cars must divert due to low overhang road obstruction.
- Friends and family are strongly discouraged from following riders on the course. Race officials and law enforcement will be on the course and if necessary penalize and/or disqualify teams if non-essential personnel are impeding the event or civilian traffic.
COURSE DETAILS (Two person):
- Mile 21 - Crosses
- Mile 41 - Turner Bend
- Mile 62 - Slate Hill Rd / Hwy 215
- Mile 80 - Mountainburg
- Mile 98 - Brentwood rest area
AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
- Top two handicap
- Top two gross
- Handicap times will be considered the official R.A.P.T.O.R Cycling relay times.
- Both Time Trial and Road bikes can be used.
- Bike changes can only be made in the transition area.
FIELD AND AGE LIMITS:
- 2-person - 20 teams
- 18 year minimum age
- Pre-race meal and beverage the night before
- Continental Breakfast on race morning
- Beer and Barbeque at the finish
- Finisher award
- Giveaway prizes
PRE-RACE MEETING (mandatory):
RACE DAY PARKING AND STAGING LOCATION:
- Mount Sequoyah - has several options from cabins to dorm-style rooms. Something for every budget and the location is spectacular. See LINK for full details. Please mention the RAPTOR Cycling Relay when booking. Call 800.760.8126 or visit website.