Hybrid and modified in-person races have been happening! There are many, many ways to pull off a hybrid or in-person event, depending on your local restrictions and resources, but we pulled a few examples of races you can check out for inspiration:
Q&A's with Timers & Race Directors who have Modified Events:
Vacation Races: Bryce Canyon Ultras and Zion at Night
In-person, with safety modifications
Modified In-Person Races Panel
T&H Timing, Race Day Events, Race Day Professionals, and RunFar discuss their various approaches to modifying events to get people running in-person.
Example Hybrid Events:
1. Richmond Marathon (website and post-event press release)
Hybrid option for thousands of runners, with a set, USATF-certified course to be chip-timed over the course of 16 days and additional time verification via RaceJoy.
3. Holly Jolly Jog website
Locally available hybrid race that allows for running an official course at a flexible time, with chip timing and light aid.
4. Webster Turkey Trot website
Hybrid Turkey Trot with a small group of loyal participants joining in-person and the majority participating virtually.
5. Cocoa Beach Turkey Trot website
Hybrid Turkey Trot with the majority joining in-person and a smaller group opting to participate virtually.
6. Negative Split website, along with websites for Huffin’ for the Stuffin’ and Windermere Marathon…and their YouTube channel for examples of their race setups.
Race Management company with multiple successful 2020 hybrid events, including up to 1200 in-person participants with staggered starts and hundreds of virtual runners.
- ArtsView Children’s Theater - Giving Tuesday Donation Form
- Pace Center Jacksonville - Where the Heart is Donation Website
- Pink the Basin - Fundraising Campaign
- ieft - Virtual Fundraiser Tickets and Donation Website
- Lifeline of Ohio - Virtual Fundraising Event
- Wheeler Mission Drumstick Dash - Converted to virtual a week before Thanksgiving. Check out their Facebook Page for an inspiring video about the event.
- American Cancer Society’s DetermiNation Runs the Country - Virtual Challenge to collectively run across the country
- Utah National Parks -Virtual Challenge
Additional Races with Modifications for an In-Person Experience
3. Five on the Sixth (website)
Modified in-person with a 2-hour open-start.
8. We The Runners 5K In-Person and Virtual (website)
Hybrid race with in-person and virtual options.