2505 Empire Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Race Contact Info
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Marty Hartman's Race2Independence Roll, Run, Walk 5K (timed) presented by Solutions For Independence
The 1st Annual Marty Hartman's Race2Independence Roll, Run, Walk 5K will continue the mission begun by Marty Hartman. After losing Marty in November 2022, it was clear - the Race2Indpendence 5K, initiated by Solutions For Independence and Ainsley's Angels in the Triad, would be continued in Marty's honor. Marty was determined to participate in another 5K, and he completed the first Race2Independence 5K in October 2022 using his own manual wheelchair.
Through this year's 5K, all proceeds from registration, sponsorships, and donations will carry on Marty's mission to raise awareness of the need for access to adaptive sports for individuals with disabilities. In addition, we will bring awareness to and support a charity close to Marty's heart, Free Wheelchair Mission. As an ambassador for Free Wheelchair Mission, Marty had a passion for helping others become independent. It is our honor to host this race and provide a portion of the proceeds to this wonderful organization.
Marty Hartman's Race2Independence is presented by Solutions For Independence. Solutions For Independence is a non-profit center of independent living. Our primary purpose is to assist any individual with a disability in obtaining the freedom and independence of living in their community. To learn more about Solutions For Independence and our services, click here https://sicilnc.org/ or give us a call at 336-767-7060 to learn more about our services.
Marty Hartman's Race2Independence begins and ends at JDL Fast Track and features a 5K Roll, Run, Walk through West Point Business Park off Stratford Road. Traditional runners, casual walkers, handcyclists, families, assisted runners, and anyone with a disability are encouraged to participate. Timing is provided by Twin City Track Club.
Award Ceremony will begin at 10:45 AM EST at center track. Awards will be given to the following positions:
ALL Finishers will receive a Race2Independence Medal, & a 2023 Marty Hartman's Race2Independence T- Shirt
A Customized Solutions For Independence Hot/Cold 20oz Tumbler will be provided to:
- First place in Each Age Group- Male & Female
- Age Groups: 14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80 and over
- Top 3 Male and Female in Able-bodied Runner Division
- Top 3 Overall in the following Divisions:
- Assisted Wheelchair Duos- Time of the Riders; Runners will not be timed
- Hand crank/Handcycle/Recumbent
- Physically challenged
- Visually impaired- Guides will not be timed
- Able-bodied runner: Defined as a participant who does not fit into the categories below.
- Assisted Wheelchair/Duos: Defined as a any participant pushing a person with a permanent disability in a customized racing wheelchair. Both parties will need to register for the event and sign appropriate waivers.
- Physically Challenged: Defined as any person with permanent disability who is ambulatory for road racing or uses a wheelchair. Example of someone with a permanent physical disability include: partial or complete loss of a lower extremity such as an amputation, significant loss of motor function due to stroke or a degenerative neurological condition such as Multiple Sclerosis.
- Push Rim & Hand Crank/Handcycle Wheelchair: Defined as a any person with a significant or physical or motor deficiency requiring the use of a push rim or hand crank wheelchair, handcycle or adapted recumbent trike to complete the race.
- Visually Impaired: Defined as any person with a significant and permanent visual disability.
Overall placement based upon clock/gun time. Age group placement based upon chip time.
2022 Race2Independence 5K Photos
Free Wheelchair Mission
As part of our commitment to Marty and the greater community of people with disabilities, we're excited to share that a portion of the proceeds from the 5K will be donated to Free Wheelchair Mission. To learn more about Free Wheelchair Mission, check out this video! Give hope, freedom, and renewed dignity through the gift of a wheelchair.
JDL Fast Track Start/Finish Line
2505 Empire Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27103